PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Using Rosegarden under Maverick/changes from Lucid need help change settings

shantiq
September 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM
ok so i have been using rosegarden on lucid/karmic/jaunty

and i never used Jackd since it is to the non-highly-technical a remarkable pain in the butt

i compose entirely through midi and the sound has always played through timidity

see this reading from Lucid

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK server not running

ALSA Client information:

14,0 - (Midi Through, Midi Through Port-0) (DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 655362, cap 99]
128,0 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 0) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,1 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 1) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,2 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 2) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]
128,3 - (TiMidity, TiMidity port 3) (WRITE ONLY) [ctype 1, ptype 2, cap 66]

jack-driver never worked before anyway with rosegarden

now there is a jackd2 on maverick

and when one opens rosegarden and goes edit/preferences it gives you midi ok audio ok

which never happened before
it was always midi ok audio not ok

which to me makes no difference since i do not record audio on rosegarden

BUT and thaT is for me the problem it NOW takes the midi to (from Maverick)

14,0 - (Midi Through, Midi Through Port-0) (DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 655362, cap 99] instead of timidity and nothings sounds

JackDriver::initialiseAudio - JACK server not running
PluginFactory::instance(dssi): creating new DSSIPluginFactory
LADSPAPluginFactory::discoverPlugins - discovering plugins; path is [/home/shantiq/.dssi] [/usr/local/lib/dssi] [/usr/lib/dssi]

ALSA Client information:

14,0 - (Midi Through, Midi Through Port-0) (DUPLEX) [ctype 2, ptype 655362, cap 99]

AlsaDriver::setCurrentTimer((auto))
extractVersion: major = 1, minor = 0, subminor = 23, suffix = ""
AlsaDriver::versionIsAtLeast: is version 1.0.23 at least 1.0.14? yes
extractVersion: major = 2, minor = 6, subminor = 35, suffix = "generic"
AlsaDriver::versionIsAtLeast: is version 2.6.35-19-generic at least 2.6.20? yes
Using low-resolution system timer, sending a warning
Current timer set to "system timer"
WARNING: using system timer with only 250Hz resolution!
AlsaDriver::initialiseMidi - initialised MIDI subsystem

so my question is how to point the midi to timidity as it used to be?

i know the whole thing is complicated but i understand that pointing to timidity should be easy i simply do not know how to

all clever suggestions welcome

shantiq
September 8th, 2010, 08:30 AM
i have looked around further and still no clue as yet

would any of you know how to point rosegarden to timidity?

i am convinced that it must be a simple operation but i have not as yet found the answer

shantiq
September 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM
ok sorted does it automatically now goes to timidity
i do not know why but hey cool

ok and then it not going to timidity anymore big puzzle

shantiq
September 14th, 2010, 01:09 PM
ok and then it not going to timidity anymore big puzzle:KS

cchhrriiss121212
September 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Is there any reason you are using Maverick when it has not been released as a stable OS yet?
I don't know much on timidity, but I could help you set up jack if you like? I promise it will not be painful as long as you have a bit of patience.

shantiq
September 14th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Is there any reason you are using Maverick when it has not been released as a stable OS yet?
I don't know much on timidity, but I could help you set up jack if you like? I promise it will not be painful as long as you have a bit of patience.

chris because it allows me access to software like VLC 1.1.4 with no fuss it is the default package and other more advanced software as standard i always aim for the most advanced package available

as regards rosegarden i only use it to compose midi i use ardour for recording live instruments

if you think i can use jack for hearing midi; routing my midi to be heard through jack;

and you have the patience to explain in detail how to do it
i would gladly accept so far jackd has always been a scarecrow to me

on a slightly different note
this is the music i make with rosegarden midi (http://shan.bandcamp.com/track/opening-candy)

thanx for your kind offer

shan

cchhrriiss121212
September 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
The first thing to do is install jack, which you can do from synaptic. If you have jack2 in there, then go for that one as it works better with newer cpus (the ones with 2 or more cores). You should only ever have one version of jack installed at one time, so don't install both to compare them or something.
These are the packages to install:
jackd
jackd2
qjackctl
patchage
plus any others that are pulled in as dependencies

I don't have Maverick, but I think when jack is installed it should ask you about configuring realtime permissions, which you should agree to (if it doesn't then you will need to set it manually, which I will explain if needed).

Then open jack from the menu and press start and see whether it runs.

shantiq
September 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM
ok stage one completed

opened it with command-line qjackctl
since i cannot remember what the commandline is for jackd2

i installed 2 see picture

will need to manually add configuring realtime permissions since i distinctly recall turning it down when i installed ubuntu-studio

stage 2 when you are ready

cchhrriiss121212
September 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Using qjackctl is what I would actually recommend, I could not imagine how anyone uses jack from the CLI. Do you open everything you use from terminal?
The odd thing I see from your screenshot is that you already seem to have jack running in RT mode, so you must have made the adjustments yourself at some point.
Could you post the output of:

cat ~/.jackdrc
Just so I can check the rest of your settings.

Now all you need do is start up Rosegarden and a synth of your choosing and link them up! Open up patchage and you will see a visual representation of all your available input and output connections for both hardware and software. Blue boxes show audio connections and green ones will show MIDI. Use the refresh and arrange options if you get a cluttered screen.

shantiq
September 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM
cat ~/.jackdrc
/usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2

i do not use a synth i write everything on the matrix editor note by note then save to midi then convert to wav

i use no instruments at any point

but do you mean like qsynth + qjackctl + patchage and connect ?

will try it and report

thanx

Joshun
September 18th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hi there,
I too am using the Maverick beta.
I highly recommend using the newer release of Rosegarden (10.04 Abraham) as it is much more stable than the 10.02 one in the ubuntu repos. You can get it from debian here (http://packages.debian.org/sid/rosegarden). (you have to take off the older one first though)

Also, for what your doing, i would recommend lmms (LinuxMultiMediaStudio) as it does pianoroll (like matrix) editing and exports directly to wav or ogg. It can import midi also if you need that.

You can start jack simply by doing:
jackd -d alsa
If you need rosegarden with timidity, you have to trick it into not starting jack. To do this, first start another timidity server by doing in terminal
timidity -iA. Then start rosegarden and connect to one of the timidity ports (you have to keep trying to find the right one).

Joshun

shantiq
September 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM
thanx joshun will certainly try all of that

cchhrriiss121212
September 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM
i do not use a synth i write everything on the matrix editor note by note then save to midi then convert to wav

i use no instruments at any point

You will be using a synth or soundfont of some kind at some point whether you realise it or not. MIDI files do not make any sounds without an instrument. I'm not familiar with Rosegarden, but I'm guessing that when you export to wav, it must make use of some soundfont you have installed by default.

Wouldn't you like to use controlled instruments as a part of your music?

shantiq
September 26th, 2010, 09:52 AM
timidity -iA. Then start rosegarden and connect to one of the timidity ports (you have to keep trying to find the right one).

Joshun

this works a charm and i do not understand why but the for the first time ever it also plays through my lexicon box which is cool

and it does not mind me doing
timidity -iA after i have loaded rosegarden

here is a screenshot

shantiq
October 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
also found a useful trick which allows one to convert the midi obtained at the end of the process to a 24-bit wave for higher sound quality

timidity --output-24bit filename.mid -Ow -o filename.wav

or better even since midi files coming off rosegarden are low on volume with volume correction

timidity --output-24bit -A400 filename.mid -Ow -o filename.wav
volume is between 0 ( no sound) and 800