PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI FireGL v7200

vaina
September 1st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hi everybody.
I had an NVIDIA Quadro FX 550 on my little workstation (DELL Precision 490) and I had some (graphic?) problems with my software at work. I also installed NVIDIA proprietary drivers (nvidia-current) but troubles still remained. Then I changed the graphic card and installed an ATI FireGL 7200 and Jockey (on Ubuntu 10.04) seems to not be able to find proprietary drivers. So I just downloaded xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd package, but I still have problems. If I check with glxinfo I obtain:

name of display: :0.0
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

3 GLXFBConfigs:
visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Segmentation faultI also don't find a clear procedure (I'm a newbie) for a manual installation of ATI drivers, can anyone help me?

dino99
September 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM
as actual kernel deal directly with X, there is often trouble when installing the driver from nvidia/ati, so better to install the package from synaptic.

first remove xorg.conf:

sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then add this ppa to your synaptic repo tab:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

and remove/purge (right click) all the nvidia/ati packages installed

update and upgrade, the system will install the necessary packages

reboot and check driver activation: system admin hardware driver

vaina
September 1st, 2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I followed your instructions: removed xorg.conf, added the PPA, definitively removed all ATI/NVIDIA packages by the package manager, updated and upgraded the system. But Jockey still doesn't find any proprietary driver for ATI in the system or internet. Did I make a wrong step?

Mark Phelps
September 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Your ATI card is one of the now-termed "legacy" cards -- for which there is no current proprietary ATI driver. The last driver for it worked with Ubuntu 8.10; it won't work with Ubuntu versions newer than that.

The open-source drivers, which you already have installed, are the only drivers now available.

vaina
September 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your detailed reply, Mark. So I have two questions.

1. Is an updated proprietary driver (Ubuntu 10.04) for ATI FireGL 7200 expected in the future? I guess the answer is 'no', I think it's not a question of time.

2. Is a current proprietary driver for NVIDIA Quadro FX 550 available? If so, where can I find the installation procedure?

Thanks for your attention.

Temüjin
September 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
1. No
2. You install them like you did above (using nvidia-current).

vaina
September 13th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Sorry, if i get back to the thread. I'm really a beginner.
I gave up with the ATI graphic card and its drivers, so I turned back to the Nvidia Quadro FX 550. I installed the graphic card, I turn on the pc, Jokey didn't find any proprietary driver, so I added the ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates and installed nvidia-current dev package. Then I reboot the system but the monitor resolution is lower than optimal. If I choose System/Preference/Monitor I'm suggested to use the productor's tool. If I run Nvidia X Server Settings I have the message:

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

What's the problem? If I run Jockey now I see nvidia-current active (with the annoying bug 'This driver is active but not in use').

vaina
September 13th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I fixed the problem by uninstalling nvidia-current dev and just installing the package nvidia-current.
I'd like to look inside a question about Nvidia drivers. I read the page BinaryDriverHowto Nvidia (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia) and I don't understand all.

1. Have I to remove Nouveau with
sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau2. I'd like to resolve the bug about 'The driver is active but not in use', maybe it can affect the right working of the Nvidia driver. If I'm correct, I have to write
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current and then something like
sudo update-alternatives --config gl_confI don't understand the sentence 'select the alternative that matches the driver that you have installed (e.g. /usr/lib/nvidia-current/ld.so.conf for nvidia-current)', so I'm not sure if I have to substitute gl_conf with another file.

Thanks for your help and patience.