PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sharing video

mje1708
August 29th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Hi,

I currently have all of my videos stored on a desktop connected to my home network. They are played through the network from three laptops (connected wirelessly). I use VLC media player - running it locally on each machine. I don't have any special server software - just run normal Ubuntu network (which is set up automatically). The desktop I am using is a relatively old Pentium 4 with 1 Gig RAM which does get used for other things as well. I do have the option of using a Compaq Evo Workstation W4000 with 1 Gig of RAM.

1. Is this the best way to do this? - generally it works fine but every so often the video just pauses - usually only for a split second or two - can this be improved at all?

2. Could I access these videos over the internet in some way? - ie so that I could watch them whilst I am away from home?

3. Would using the W4000 to store the videos make any difference? Is there any special software I should be running?

Thanks

Mike

carl4926
August 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
1. I would expect an occasional hiccup

2. Depends on 2 things. How quick your server can stream up and how good the down connection is in the remote location

3. I Have no idea