PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Getting HDMI audio out to work on Acer 5738

Anand Jayaraman
August 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hi,

For the benefit of all other users i am specifying the steps i followed to get HDMI audio to work after a lot of toil.

Laptop configuration: Acer 5738
Ubuntu (10.04) Lucid Lynx

Please visit the link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonHD and read specifically the HDMI Audio section. Don't worry if you are unable to test for the sound.
Connect the HDMI cable from the laptop to your LCD tv. This should be trivial. Make sure you switch your TV to HDMI input from its menu options.
After enabling the HDMI configurations on your laptop using Step 1. Click on System--> Preferences --> Sound.
Click on the Hardware tab. By default it might be set to “Analog Stereo Duplex”. Go to Output tab. Change the Connector drop down from “Analog Speakers” to “Analog Headphones”.
Go back to Hardware tab and select “Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output”.
Function+F5 would direct the video output to your TV. Incase you have a problem redirecting your video output to the TV. Restart your machine with the HDMI cable connected to your TV.
With the configurations you would be able to hear sound from your TV. Have a blast!

I have tried this with Acer 5738 it might work with other Laptop configurations as well.

Regards,
Anand

Donalt2010
August 29th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Will probably work with mine aswell thanks for this. Now all we need is for a nice program to sort out the stand-by problem when closing the laptop lid i.e screen goes blank, tv goes blank:(