PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't burn to cd or dvd in ubuntu 10.04

nsiva007
August 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM
hi ,
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and the problem is I'm not able to write or burn any data to a DVD or CD using Brasero disc burner,also not with Gnome baker.. It prepares the disk and then ejects after some time.. i really don't know what's the problem..
The same is problem with Gnome baker.. it says "failed to burn"...
plzz help me with this...!!! or suggest some program that works,bcoz i never had a problem with vista burning data into cd's or DVD's

zeroseven0183
August 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Try K3b

jmore9
August 28th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I always use K3b works just fine for me and it is in the repos

nsiva007
August 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Is it not possible to write data into a normal CD-R or DVD-R... does all this work only with CD-RW and DVD-RW???? It asks for a rewritable medium isn't it possible to write into a once writable CD or DVD ??? i can't afford to store all my data on a flash drive all the time :-(

zeroseven0183
August 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Hmmm... So you mean, what you're trying to do is to write to a CD-R/DVD-R that has already data in it?
No, it's not possible. Once you write data on a CD-R or a DVD-R, you're done.

nsiva007
August 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Does that mean all the available unused space in the CD -R/DVD -R gets wasted???
i've just used some 50 MB in a DVD-R,can't i use the other remaining 4GB space?? i can fill up that remaining space in Vista.... also on right click it says Premissions of UDF volume can't be determined....!!!

Master Cabbage
August 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Does that mean all the available unused space in the CD -R/DVD -R gets wasted???
i've just used some 50 MB in a DVD-R,can't i use the other remaining 4GB space?? i can fill up that remaining space in Vista.... also on right click it says Premissions of UDF volume can't be determined....!!!

Once you burn data on to a CD-R or DVD-R the disc cannot be re-written. That is why it is important to use a disc most appropriate to the amount of data you are putting on that disc.

nsiva007
September 1st, 2010, 02:36 PM
ohh... but windows allow me to burn several times ,of course i can't delete previous data...!!!

jmore9
September 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM
I did that with NERO on winxp , but i haven't seen it in linux burner software yet. Maybe the nero version for linux still has that function ?

4ebees
September 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
hi ,
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and the problem is I'm not able to write or burn any data to a DVD or CD using Brasero disc burner,also not with Gnome baker.. It prepares the disk and then ejects after some time.. i really don't know what's the problem..
The same is problem with Gnome baker.. it says "failed to burn"...
plzz help me with this...!!! or suggest some program that works,bcoz i never had a problem with vista burning data into cd's or DVD's

Check out:

http://k3b.plainblack.com/support/k3b-0.12-new-features

In K3B you need to enable multisession (or so it would appear) :))

HTH

jmore9
September 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I was mistaken there is a way to make a multisession disk with Brasero.

To make a multisession disk under Brasero go to the help section , Creating new data project and scroll down the page to near the end. It tells you which boxes to check to make a multisession disk.