PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] bit rotted STL in C++

worksofcraft
August 28th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I have some C++ code that uses the Standard Template Library, but was written in 1995. Today it can't find the STL header files... like #include <function.h> consequently reporting things like:

operator.1.cc:24: error: no match for ‘operator!=’ in ‘Small != Large’

I do have an old set of STL headers and if I use those then it compiles, but I want to change the code to use contemporary STL.

The closest I could find is called "functional", but that does NOT appear to have an equivalent :confused:

template <class T1, class T2>
inline bool operator!=(const T1& x, const T2& y) {
return !(x == y);
}

Has anyone got suggestion for how I can find all the correct new header file names... and on a philosophical note: Do you think the new file structure and naming convention of header files is actually an improvement?

Thanks in advance :)

MadCow108
August 28th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I am not familiar with the old headers but rel_ops namespace in <utility> is probably what you're looking for:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/std/utility/rel_ops/

dwhitney67
August 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I have some C++ code that uses the Standard Template Library, but was written in 1995. Today it can't find the STL header files... like #include <function.h> consequently reporting things like:

operator.1.cc:24: error: no match for ‘operator!=’ in ‘Small != Large’

In the past, STL header files were appended with a .h extension; that is no longer the case. In addition to this, STL containers and utility functions have been added to the std namespace.

Here's a before and after case (which is very trivial):

// before

#include <iostream.h>

int main()
{
cout << "hello world." << endl;
}

// after

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "hello world" << std::endl;
}

As for the error you are getting above, it would appear that the operator!=() is not defined for the data type represented by the objects Small and Large. What type of object are these?

Here's a trivial example of where an class is defined with the operator!=() method:

#include <cassert>

class Foo
{
public:
Foo(int val) : myVal(val) {}

//bool operator==(const Foo& other) const
//{
// return myVal == other.myVal;
//}

bool operator!=(const Foo& other) const
{
return myVal != other.myVal;
}

private:
int myVal;
};

// This is not required if class method Foo::operator!=() is defined.
//template <class T1, class T2>
//inline bool operator!=(const T1& x, const T2& y)
//{
// return !(x == y);
//}

int main()
{
Foo ten(10);
Foo two(2);

assert(ten != two);
}

worksofcraft
August 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hey thanks for both those great ideas :)

I tried what you suggest and including a "using namespace std;" seemed very promising, but alas still no joy with our modern stl yet :(

I did find a slightly older stl but still a lot newer that the one from 1994.

That one uses the rel_ops you mention and did compile.

So I wittled the problem right down to a few lines of code and the 3 files from that old stl.

I can compile it using:
g++ -DYEAR=1994 -I./stl1994 operator.1.cc

but compiling with the new stl gives me that error message. Here I'll attach a tar of the necessary bits in the hope somone can see what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance

MadCow108
August 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
add an
#include <utility>

and an
using namespace std::rel_ops

and it should work
rel_ops:: is inside std:: (nested namespace) so you don't need the std:: if you did a using namespace std; beforehand

worksofcraft
August 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
add an
#include <utility>

and an
using namespace std::rel_ops

and it should work
rel_ops:: is inside std:: (nested namespace) so you don't need the std:: if you did a using namespace std; beforehand

ah... thanks, eventually I found it:

#include <function.h> // 1994 version of STL
// replaced with:
#include <bits/stl_relops.h> // contemporary stl
#include <utility>
#include <functional>
#include <algorithm>
using namespace std;
using namespace std::rel_ops;

:)

MadCow108
August 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM
you should not include the bits folder, this is plattform dependent
stick to the standard headers!!

if your utility does not include rel_ops you have a buggy/non-standard version either file a bugreport or change to a standard conforming version (the standard is 12 years old everybody should have implemented this simple part by now!)

20.3 Utility components
utility
This subclause contains some basic function and class templates that are used throughout the rest of the
library.
Header <utility> synopsis:

#include <initializer_list>
namespace std {
// 20.3.1, operators:
namespace rel_ops {
template<class T>
template<class T>
template<class T>
template<class T>
}

worksofcraft
August 28th, 2010, 10:48 PM
you should not include the bits folder, this is plattform dependent
stick to the standard headers!!

if your utility does not include rel_ops you have a buggy/non-standard version either file a bugreport or change to a standard conforming version (the standard is 12 years old everybody should have implemented this simple part by now!)

I searched my whole file system. There are no files containing the string rel_ops in their name. The closest I could find is:

/usr/include/c++/4.4/bits/stl_relops.h

I have a standard Ubuntu 10.04 with build essential installed. I also checked a Hardy Heron Ubuntu and that doesn't have them either.

Edit: Oh sorry now I understand what you say. The name space rel_ops is supposed to be defined in header file <utility> I'll try to work out why it isn't appearing and report back later.

Later: OK problem solved, my installation had got corrupted I have no idea how, but the one on a different virtual machine worked just fine.

I could never have found it without your information about name spaces and <utility> header! Thanks :)