PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Enable sound on server (10.04 x64)

sortia
August 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hi guys! I am stuck trying to enable sound in Ubuntu Server! :-(

I have 10.04 Server x64 on an atom (Dell A100) that I need to enable sound for a legacy device that is running in a Windows VM through a com port (all working fine bar sound)

I have followed these instructions for sound issues guide, with no joy! http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

I actually have 2 identical machines, with Ubuntu Desktop on the 2nd the sound works fine, but I'd rather not install gnome etc to fix the sound!

On the server:

user@server:~$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:223 no soundcards found...

On the 2nd machine:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

And on both machines identical output:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci -v
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Dell Device 02b4
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at fea38000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Im not sure I am doing this right but in the guide it says thy this, both machines output the same:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe snd-
FATAL: Module snd_ not found.

I presume the 'Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel' means the Intel driver is actually installed but I tried rebuilding the alsa driver from source anyway (selected hda-intel) it compiled successfully. But the server still says no soundcards found with the command: aplay -l

I also tried adding snd-hda-intel to the bottom of /etc/modules but still no joy!

Any help greatly appreciated! :-)

arrrghhh
August 27th, 2010, 04:54 PM
You probably have to install some pieces of alsa... not sure which tho. By default, ubuntu-desktop uses pulse but that would probably make things more complicated than they need to be.

I have sound working on my server, but I just play music on mpd straight out of the server itself. Using alsa - I tried playing with pulse to get network audio streaming, but kinda gave up on that dream.

sortia
August 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hi thanks for the reply
I do have alsa-utils, alsa-base, linux-sound-base and libasound2 installed. That looked to me like all the important alsa bits that are installed on the desktop!

arrrghhh
August 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Yea, that should be all you need... On the Sound Troubleshooting (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting) doc it has you run aplay -l with sudo... Have you tried that?

However, if it doesn't recognize the card, that's not a good sign...

sortia
August 27th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Ha ha ok im officially an idiot! It does work with sudo!

I just need to set the permissions for sound for virtualbox!

Thank you!! :-)