PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WinFF problem

Ghost_Mazal
August 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Lo all ,

I have a problem with WinFF. I first did the steps in the Comprehensive multimedia how to on this site. Then I also did these steps for ffmpeg and x264 install http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

My problem is that WinFF doesn't want to work. It keeps saying to me that it can't find ffplay as well as ffmpeg. When I run a search I can't even find the files so I can't go and point Winff to it in it's preferences. I did install ffmpeg and when I use ffmpeg in the terminal it works fine. Anybody know how to fix this issue ?

Ubuntu 10.04.1 64 bit

Linuxforall
August 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Lo all ,

I have a problem with WinFF. I first did the steps in the Comprehensive multimedia how to on this site. Then I also did these steps for ffmpeg and x264 install http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

My problem is that WinFF doesn't want to work. It keeps saying to me that it can't find ffplay as well as ffmpeg. When I run a search I can't even find the files so I can't go and point Winff to it in it's preferences. I did install ffmpeg and when I use ffmpeg in the terminal it works fine. Anybody know how to fix this issue ?

Ubuntu 10.04.1 64 bit

Add WinFF ppa from their site and update to latest, then update the presets from their site as well. Finally edit the presets manually by removing 'b' from kb, the new ffmpeg and x264 use k for unit instead of kb. If WinFF can't find ffplay, point to /usr/bin/local via the preferences.

Ghost_Mazal
August 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Add WinFF ppa from their site and update to latest, then update the presets from their site as well. Finally edit the presets manually by removing 'b' from kb, the new ffmpeg and x264 use k for unit instead of kb. If WinFF can't find ffplay, point to /usr/bin/local via the preferences.

Have no idea how to do any of that and there is no /usr/bin/local on my system

Ghost_Mazal
August 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Ok I got all that done. Except for two things. Their presets ffmpeg version is way outdated. The don't have presets for the current ffmpeg. I Create my own preset anyway.
The second thing is that there is no /usr/bin/local folder on my system. I removed the paths in the preferences and just added the words ffplay and ffmpeg. Now it is not complaining of a file not found , but nothing happens. It open a terminal and that's it.

andrew.46
August 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Hi Ghost,

You can search for the exact location of ffplay by pasting the following into a terminal:

sudo find /usr -iname 'ffplay'

The Fakeoutdoorsman's guide shuld have ffplay in /usr/local/bin.

Andrew

Linuxforall
August 28th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Ok I got all that done. Except for two things. Their presets ffmpeg version is way outdated. The don't have presets for the current ffmpeg. I Create my own preset anyway.
The second thing is that there is no /usr/bin/local folder on my system. I removed the paths in the preferences and just added the words ffplay and ffmpeg. Now it is not complaining of a file not found , but nothing happens. It open a terminal and that's it.

If you can't find ffplay in /usr/local/bin that means checkinstall hasn't installed it, redo FO's guide for x264 and ffmpeg.

Ghost_Mazal
August 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
If you can't find ffplay in /usr/local/bin that means checkinstall hasn't installed it, redo FO's guide for x264 and ffmpeg.

If it's not installed why is it working 100% in a terminal encode and Handbrake encode ?

Ghost_Mazal
August 28th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Ok I re-installed x264 and FFmpeg using FO's guide , but it's still the same. It doesn't complain about not finding files , it opens a terminal window and then nothing happens further. Still a fail (the ffplay and ffmpeg files are in /usr/local/bin now) But Winff just dooesn't work.

Linuxforall
August 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Ok I re-installed x264 and FFmpeg using FO's guide , but it's still the same. It doesn't complain about not finding files , it opens a terminal window and then nothing happens further. Still a fail (the ffplay and ffmpeg files are in /usr/local/bin now) But Winff just dooesn't work.

Remove the b from kb in the presets.

Linuxforall
August 28th, 2010, 08:34 AM
If it's not installed why is it working 100% in a terminal encode and Handbrake encode ?

If it works in terminal then its installed but FO's version only installs in /usr/local/bin

Handbrake uses its own x264 and ffmpeg.

Ghost_Mazal
August 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Remove the b from kb in the presets.

Ok done that , still the same. Nothing happens , just a terminal that opens.

Linuxforall
August 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Ok done that , still the same. Nothing happens , just a terminal that opens.

What presets are you using? Are you converting movie formats or extracting audio from youtube flv?

Ghost_Mazal
August 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
What presets are you using? Are you converting movie formats or extracting audio from youtube flv?

Mpeg2 to mp4 (x264 and aac) as well as mpeg2 to mp3 audio extraction.

Both does that.

I even tried my own preset with my own command. Same thing , just a terminal window