PDA

View Full Version : How long before you found developer job?

Thieflock
August 25th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm going to make the assumption that there is a large amount on developers browsing this forum.

I'm a recent Compute Science graduate, having received my BS this summer. I've been looking for a job, but everyone wants people with industry experience. I only have college and a 1 month internship experience.

I'd like to get some tips, advice or personal stories of getting a developers job.

I've also included my resume, and was hoping to get a little feedback on it. Maybe there is a technology I should learn that isn't present on it.

Thanks

================================================== =======================

Objective

Seeking a career as a software engineer.

I'm a recent graduate of Fitchburg State University. Having just completed an internship to earn my diploma, I'm ready to enter the software engineering industry. I don't see writing code as just a job, but something I also enjoy doing in my spare time. My recent internship has given me a solid foundation with the different aspects of software development.
During my internship, I was tasked with adding features to a bat call annotation program. Most notably, the feature I added auto-annotated bat calls. This largely reduced the amount of work on the users side. Other rewarding projects I have done throughout my academic career are Dijkstra's Shortest Path algorithm, the Manhattan Tourist algorithm, and designing and coding my own game.

Education

Fitchburg State University (2007 - 2010)
Computer Science, B.S.
ABET accreditation for Computer Science and Information Systems

Mount Wachusett Community College (2006 – 2007)
Liberal Arts

Skills

Languages: Python, C, C++, Java, MATLAB, and Ruby

Database Language: MySQL

Platforms: multiple Linux distributions, Mac OS X, and Windows XP / 7

Generic Skills: Can grasp new concept easily; good at implementing theoretical ideas to functional code; good debugging skills; good when working with others and alone.

Work Experience

May 2010 – July 2010
Fitchburg State University
Fitchburg, MA
Computer Science Department
Research Assistant

Assisted in the research and development of tools, that would help better understand echolocation.
The software I developed was dominantly written in MATLAB which could auto-annotate bat call recordings. This reduced much of the work on the user side.
Implemented functions for various signal processing and filter techniques. Signal processing included enveloping .wav file audio, which allowed for the extraction of square waves. These square waves were the bat calls in relation to time.
Filter techniques were designed to remove extraneous signals. The removal of noise was done by inspecting pulse width and inter-pulse interval ranges. A precedence to the filter passes was also set to maximize the deletion of this noise.
The implementation of a threshold also proved to be a key filter. I devised a way to dynamically determine the default, minimum and maximum threshold values. Aside from this, the user could also select the best possible threshold position. Allowing for the user to manually differentiate from bat calls and noise.
I also devised a way for bat call synchronization between audio channels. Since recordings were taken from different devices and locations, a time delay was present in all recordings. With the feature I added, the user could synchronize bat calls across channels in batch. Before this implementation the user would have had to perform this task manually.
Multiple developer's work was posted and retrieved from an SVN client, to ensure everyone had the latest code to work with.

2008 – 2009
Fitchburg State University
Fitchburg, MA
Tutor Center
Physics and Computer Science Tutor
Met with students to evaluate and recommend study habits.
Helped students develop better problem solving skills.
Developed better interpersonal skills while working with students.
CRLA certified.

Achievements

Awarded “Outstanding Senior in the Computer Science Department”
Presidents List Recipient
3.66 GPA

gemmakaru
August 25th, 2010, 03:15 PM
To answer the question I did a placement year, I guess it was similar to an internship but paid a small salary. I used this to lever myself into my first programming role. I guess without it it would have been harder. I think things are more competative now but don't give up up. I do see plenty of jobs advertisements marked "Graduate". Maybe there will be some of those in your area.

Oh and it took me about 6 months after graduating to find my first developer role.

Thieflock
August 25th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the positive reply.

P.S. I did mean bat because I did research with bats ( the animals ).