PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] can't seem to ssh to my server

williamburn
August 24th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I have setup 10.04.1 and completed the open ssh server install, changed the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to allow my user -- AllowUsers wburn -- to SSH, but still cannot connect remotely. I get prompted for the login, but the authentication doesn't pass properly or allow me to log in.

netstat -ant | grep 22 -->

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

I have also updated /etc/hosts.allow to allow:

ALL:ALL

Any suggestions, and thanks

CharlesA
August 24th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Are you able to ssh to localhost? That'll tell you if ssh is installed and configured correctly.

Are you using pub key authentication or password authentication?

Encrypted home directory?

williamburn
August 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Yes, ssh localhost works. I am using password authentication. This server is on my lan and will not be used to authenticate externally. No encryption on the homedir.

CharlesA
August 24th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Try using ssh -vvv user@host and post the results.

williamburn
August 24th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I am logged into the iDRAC interface and am unable to capture the output of the -vvv session. apparently > redirecting it to a file doesnt work either. Do you know of a way to redirect the session to a text file that I can copy and paste or check the logs. When i try putty from another box I get the prompt so I know SSH is in fact working, and it works locally. However I get access denied. It seems to me that it doesnt like my user.

CharlesA
August 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I don't know if you can redirect it to a file or not, maybe by using tee and sending it to a file.

ssh -vvv user@host | tee > ~/somefile

What does /var/log/auth.log say?

williamburn
August 25th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Charles, thanks a lot for the help. Apparently, the iDRAC keyboard doesnt map the keys properly. On a whim, i changed my password to abc and guess what. it works. the iDRAC keyboard doesnt map special chars properly.

Thanks again...

CharlesA
August 25th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Good to hear you got it working. :)