PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] slocate doesn't seem to work

davidshere
August 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've found information about slocate here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FindingFiles#locate

I have installed the slocate package. I've manually run its daily cron job:

david@growler:~$ sudo /etc/cron.daily/slocate
david@growler:~$
I have given it almost an hour to index about 1 TB of data. It does not seem to be indexing all of my filesystems:

david@growler:~$ locate address
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/check-mac-address.sh
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/get-mac-address.sh
/usr/share/doc/libncurses5-dev/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-ipv4_address__adb.htm
/usr/share/doc/libncurses5-dev/html/ada/terminal_interface-curses-forms-field_types-ipv4_address__ads.htm
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-27-server/include/config/mtd/docprobe/address.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-27-server/include/config/mtd/nand/diskonchip/probe/address.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-27-server/include/config/scsi/sym53c8xx/dma/addressing
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-27-server/include/config/scsi/sym53c8xx/dma/addressing/mode.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-28-server/include/config/mtd/docprobe/address.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-28-server/include/config/mtd/nand/diskonchip/probe/address.h
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-28-server/include/config/scsi/sym53c8xx/dma/addressing
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-28-server/include/config/scsi/sym53c8xx/dma/addressing/mode.h

I have many files in my /media directory and subdirectories with "address" in them.

What could be the problem? This is what that cron job looks like:

david@growler:~$ more /etc/cron.daily/slocate
#! /bin/sh

if [ -x /usr/bin/slocate ] && [ ! -x /usr/bin/mlocate ]
then
if [ -f /etc/updatedb.conf ]
then
. /etc/updatedb.conf
fi

# Adjust I/O priority of current process (default: best effort)
ionice -c ${IONICE_CLASS:-2} -n ${IONICE_PRIORITY:-7} -p $$

if [ -f /etc/updatedb.conf ]
then
nice -n ${NICE:-10} /usr/bin/slocate -u
else
nice -n ${NICE:-10} /usr/bin/slocate -u -f proc
fi
chown root.slocate /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db
fi

capscrew
August 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I've found information about slocate...
I think it is working. Try this: Create a test file in your home directory
touch ~/updatedb.test
Look for using slocate
locate updatedb.test

This should fail as you have not updated the slocate database. Now update slocate

sudo updatedb

Now test locate again
locate updatedb.test

The file should now be found.

davidshere
August 27th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks! Your example does work.

Apparently the cron job "/etc/cron.daily/slocate" does not update the database. Do I have to write my own cron job to do this?

capscrew
August 27th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks! Your example does work.

Apparently the cron job "/etc/cron.daily/slocate" does not update the database. Do I have to write my own cron job to do this?

There are 2 file indexing front ends and by default they use different databases. One is locate and another is slocate.

Try the same thing using slocate only and you will see. The man pages will also shed some light.

Edit: There already is a cron job both databases. You might have to manually initialize the database for it to work correctly. But then again you may have done that. Try using both slocate and locate to locate the files.