PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Simple Network Monitoring

hayden92
August 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hey guys,

I have a small network at home, which all of my family uses. We've also got some boarders staying in our house at the moment.

I've been having some issues with people getting to sites that they shouldn't be (torrenting, illegal, etc). I've tried talking to them about it, to no avail. I'm wondering if there's a program that will print up a list of computers that are connected to the network, and the website (or the IP of the website) that they are currently accessing. I don't mind if it's a CLI program.

Thanks for any suggestions that you might have,

Hayden

arochester
August 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Not directly an answer to your question, but you can filter at the level of your router rather than computers and apply filtering to all computers on your network. See: http://www.opendns.com/familyshield

warfacegod
August 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM
sudo apt-get install nmap

May be useful to you. If you like a GUI nmapsi4 should be installed as well.

tom.swartz07
August 24th, 2010, 03:38 PM
As arochester mentioned, you could outright block access to whatever sites you wish by using OpenDNS. I used it on my home network back in High School to keep myself off of Facebook during finals week. haha.

Its not too hard to set up, and (if I remember correctly) you could block sites for individual computers.
If OpenDNS doesnt support that, your router might support that feature. Poke around with the config page on your router to find out.

QLee
August 24th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I've been having some issues with people getting to sites that they shouldn't be (torrenting, illegal, etc). I've tried talking to them about it, to no avail.
It's your network, so if they won't play by network rules, deny them access, simple and also fair, they were warned.

I'm wondering if there's a program that will print up a list of computers that are connected to the network, and the website (or the IP of the website) that they are currently accessing. I don't mind if it's a CLI program.

Your router should have that information on a page already.

hayden92
August 26th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Your router should have that information on a page already.

I've looked for something like that, but I can't find it. What would it be listed under?

LiquidMeson
August 26th, 2010, 02:07 AM
You could see if your router supports ddwrt.

anewguy
August 26th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I've looked for something like that, but I can't find it. What would it be listed under?

What brand and model is the router?

hayden92
August 28th, 2010, 04:43 AM
It's a Billion Router, BiPAC 7401VGP

anewguy
August 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Wow! Wish I could help with that, but I haven't ever heard of that router (perhaps it's because I'm in the U.S. and you're in Australia?). Sorry I can't help on that!

Dave ;)

hayden92
August 29th, 2010, 02:03 AM
No worries Dave, thanks anyway :)

I've been fiddling around with 'nmap' and so far it's looking good. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll be sorting my network out in no time!

Hayden