PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing Windows XP on a dual partition with Linux

lizlyn
August 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
So, I've decided to remove Windows XP from my computer but I don't really know where to begin. I had Windows on my computer first then I added Linux with a dual partition. I'm currently using Ubuntu 8.04.4 but I want to upgrade to 10.04.1 once I get this straightened out. Naturally, I want to utilize my space and have Linux be my primary system. Any input on how to make my Linux partition larger might be nice too.

Can anyone give me straightforward, simple to understand directions on how to do this? A friend of mine told me that there was a page on some Ubuntu site that explained it very well but I can't find it! :( If you know what he is referring to, send me the link!

Thank you for your help!

zer010
August 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Personally, since you're wanting to upgrade to 10.04, I would backup all important files and do a "clean install" of 10.04. Gets rid of Windows and you have new partitions to work with.

lizlyn
August 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
So, how do I do that?
Does it pop up with a "clean install" option before I install it? I have the disk but have only tried it out.

Paul820
August 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Personally, since you're wanting to upgrade to 10.04, I would backup all important files and do a "clean install" of 10.04. Gets rid of Windows and you have new partitions to work with.

+1
Saves messing around deleting partitions.

So, how do I do that?
Does it pop up with a "clean install" option before I install it? I have the disk but have only tried it out.

If you want to do a clean install and use your whole hard disk, as zer010 said, backup all your important data, put the ubuntu disk in, select install and when it comes to the partitioning part, selct 'use entire disk' or 'whole disk' can't remember which. Just look for the option to use entire/whole something :D

Elfy
August 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
If you want to do a clean install - boot the livecd then when you get asked about partitions use the whole disk - that will format the whole drive.

If you do that it will use the whole disk.Backup anything you need to keep.

There are many many resizing partitions threads on here. There's one on the front page right now ...

This might be of some help - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

Matt__
August 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
+1 for clean install

BUT....try it with a live disk first to make sure everything works ok.

lizlyn
August 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
THANK YOU!!!
That sounds much easier. I will give it a try.