PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How un/safe is it to let Firefox remember passwords?

zer010
August 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Firstly, I am the only user on this PC. I'm getting tired of typing out my login info every time I go to one of my usual sites. Any tips, warnings or tricks?

HermanAB
August 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Howdy,

I've been using it for many years, but with a proper password.

silverglade00
August 23rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
I have been using that feature in Firefox for a long time too. I have never had a problem with it. It just stores it in a local file on your computer. The only thing you need to worry about is someone with physical access to your computer. They will easily be able to see your passwords by going to the Password Manager in Firefox and checking the box that says Show Passwords.

This can also be a feature though. I tend to save every password I create with it and it has saved me because I was able to back and view a password that I had forgotten.

Another nice thing is the Xmarks extension. It was made to back up your bookmarks, but it can also back up your saved passwords. You can set encryption for this so Xmarks does not have access to your passwords. Then if you reload or use another computer, you can have all of your passwords still right there where you need them.

zer010
August 23rd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips! *thumbs up*

nightshade209
August 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
If no one else has physical access to your PC, then storing the passwords is pretty safe. If you use more than 1 PC regularly, then I would recommend having a look at either XMarks (as suggested above), or LastPass - both are cross-browser password syncing addons.

mapes12
August 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
I use the FF addon LastPass. Everything is encrypted. Never had a problem.

furiousjason
August 23rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I have been using it for years and never had a problem. But its only me and my fiancée that use this machine.

zer010
August 23rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Thank you everyone! I guess I was being a little paranoid. I just kept thinking, "What if FF is compromised, would my passwords/passphrases be compromised as well?" i like the idea of encrypting them.....just in case, ya know...