PDA

View Full Version : Gmail video chat for Linux

mhenriday
August 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Ever since the first version for Windows was released in 2008, lots of us Gmail users have been nagging the developers to release a plugin that worked with Linux. A few days ago, our prayers and petitions were finally answered : Google released a Debian plugin (http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/use-linux-now-you-can-video-chat-too.html). I immediately installed it on my main stationary box and on my main laptop, both of which are running 64-bit Lucid, but with very different results - on the former the plugin is recognised by the machine and when I click on the little web cam icon when starting a chat, video starts, on the latter, however, I get a link which suggests that I add the plugin ! Checking on Synaptic, I find that version 1.4.1.0-1 of «google-talkplugin» has been installed on both boxes ; moreover, «/opt/google/talkplugin» contains precisely the same folders and files. But when I check my plugins from the «about:plugins» button on my FF browser (the same version (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; sv-SE; rv:1.9.2.9pre) Gecko/20100822 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Namoroka/3.6.9pre GTB7.1) on both machines), I find to my surprise that the
Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator

Filename libnpgtpo3dautoplugin.so
Plugin Version:
Plugin Description: Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.3

mimetype Description Extensions Enabled
application/vnd.gtpo3d.auto O3D MIME Yesand the
Google Talk Plugin

Filename libnpgoogletalk64.so
Plugin Version:
Plugin Description: Version: 1.4.1.0

mimetype Description Extensions Enabled
application/googletalk Google Talk Plugin googletalk Yesfiles, which are listed in the case of the stationary box, are absent in the case of the laptop. Das also war des Pudels Kern ! I've tried deleting the plugin package and re-installing it several times, but no joy. And, as Mr Murphy's law would demand, the irony of the matter is that I don't have a web camera installed on the stationary box and the microphone plug is dodgy, so I can't even run ordinary sound chat from a headset there, while both function splendidly on the laptop ; thus, e g, Skype for Linux works fine....

Any suggestions as to what can have gone wrong with the installation process on the laptop and how I can correct it ? Any help that can be provided will be most appreciated !...