PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ok to delete extended partition?

Rumpletumbler
August 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I chose the use all available disk space when I installed Lucid and didn't pay any attention to the partitions created at the time.

Down the road I wanted to encrypt the swap so I followed this for the swap file:

http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Ecryptfs/

Turns out sometimes it mounts and sometimes not.

If I look at disk manager I have two 1.9GB partitions. One swap and one extended. The extended only has a delete or format option. I was thinking this could be the old swap or something created during the install that evidently isn't being used.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 60569 486518784 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 60570 60802 1865729 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 60570 60802 1865728 82 Linux swap / SolarisCan I just delete the extended partition without harm?

QLee
August 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
If I look at disk manager I have two 1.9GB partitions. One swap and one extended. The extended only has a delete or format option. I was thinking this could be the old swap or something created during the install that evidently isn't being used.

Can I just delete the extended partition without harm?

Maybe, if you have sufficient RAM your system could run without swap.

Because that's what you would be doing, eliminating your swap. You don't have two partitions, the extended partition 2 is a container for logical partition 5.

mcduck
August 23rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
The swap (dev/sda5) is inside the extended partition. Don't delete the extended partition or you'll lose both partitions.

The MBR partition tables are originally only able to support 4 primary partitions. To allow for more complex partition layouts one of these partitions is replaced by an extended partition, which serves as a "container" allowing you to add even more partitions (logical partitions).

Ubuntu's installer by default creates an extended partition and puts swap inside it even if you aren't creating more than 4 partitions on your disk. This gives you more flexibility if you need to edit your partitions at a later time.

Rumpletumbler
August 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you. The more I learn the dumber I feel. haha.