PDA

View Full Version : Hoary Extra: NX Client

jdong
February 15th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Synopsis
NoMachine NX is the next-generation X compression and roundtrip suppression scheme. It can operate remote X11 sessions over 56k modem dialup links or anything better.

This is the client for FreeNX.

Backporting Process
Source kame from Kanotix.

Packaging Status:
i386 -- Staging at revision 35
amd64 -- Not packaged
ppc -- Not packaged

Beta tester notes:

Dromio
March 17th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Synopsis
NoMachine NX is the next-generation X compression and roundtrip suppression scheme. It can operate remote X11 sessions over 56k modem dialup links or anything better.

This is the client for FreeNX.

Backporting Process
Source kame from Kanotix.

Packaging Status:
i386 -- Staging at revision 35
amd64 -- Not packaged
ppc -- Not packaged

Beta tester notes:
Sure would love this for amd64. I know nothing about building packages. Would this be a good place to start?

jdong
March 18th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Unfortunately, FreeNX has been known not to compile under AMD64. I do not have the time to invest in getting that to work -- it's been ongoing in Gentoo, unsure what the current resolution is.

dare2dreamer
March 31st, 2005, 10:46 PM
freenx server doesn't work on hoary for me. I tried setting it up with the nomachine key, and it still refuses to allow me to login.

dare2dreamer
March 31st, 2005, 11:22 PM
Ok, a little further hacking and I got it working. Seems that it didn't properly set up the /home/.nx directory or the nomachine key by default. I created the directory, ran nxsetup as root and then it started up. To get my user able to log in, I had to manually set the password with nxserver though.

As I recall, I did not have these issues with the kalyxo.org freenx builds.

jdong
April 4th, 2005, 05:14 PM
I need to investigate on these backports, including the FreeNX server for Hoary.

It seems like some R-Deps were updated by Canonical since the package was compiled.

A-star
April 5th, 2005, 09:25 AM
I installed the nxserver this mornong (05/04/2005), it installed fine, but gave me a message about "authentication" or something.

After using it for a whille , it seems that the warty version is more stable then the hoary version
*k3b and the servers just cuts the connection.
*same with mplayer (not even opening a movie, just changing the preferences).

btdown
April 15th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Could someone give me instructions on the right way to install freenx? (server) I noticed another thread, but it seemed geared toward warty and i really dont want to screw up my distro.

Any help for setting this up on hoary 5.04 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BT

jdong
April 15th, 2005, 02:14 AM
As I said a few posts up, recompiling Hoary NX is on my todo list... Many things have changed in Hoary since I initially packaged this.

Kalyxo's site (which contains NX Debian sources) is pretty quirky recently, so it may be a while before I can get this packaged (read: next week ;))

jdong
April 15th, 2005, 02:52 AM
https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=114431&group_id=125877&group_project_id=42440

I've assigned a task to rebuild NX. However, it'll be a while (due to Kalyxo being down) before it can be actually built.

btdown
April 15th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Thank you for the info!
BT

marko
April 22nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
https://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=114431&group_id=125877&group_project_id=42440

I've assigned a task to rebuild NX. However, it'll be a while (due to Kalyxo being down) before it can be actually built.

Any progress. I am antsy to get my Freenx going on Hoary! Thanks much in advance.

btdown
April 23rd, 2005, 02:33 AM
ditto...

BTW i was able to get it working on 5.04 test laptop using the how-to found somewhere on this site, however, I'm hestitant to put it on my "real" machine because it seems sorta hinky.

jdong
April 24th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Kalyxo.org has been a mess after that break-in... I'm still working on it.

boskone
April 24th, 2005, 10:42 PM
For what it's worth, to get it working all I had to do was edit /usr/bin/nxsetup, line 83. Remove the '/' between $NX_HOME_DIR and $NX_AUTHORIZED_KEYS_FILE. There's probably a less hackish way of doing this, but I didn't bother finding out where those variables are set.

btdown
April 25th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the update Jdong!

-=BT