PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Create Desktop Launcher and include sudo password?

MaxVK
August 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hi. I'm using Xampp for some development work and I have two launchers on my desktop, one to start Xampp and one to stop it.

Xampp needs to be started with sudo, so I have: "sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start" as the command in one of the launchers. However, its a pain to keep typing the password, so is there a way to include the password for sudo inside the launcher (so I can just click it and go)?

Cheers

Max

MaxVK
August 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Just a 'lil old bump!

tom.swartz07
August 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM
The only way I could think of getting the same result you're looking for is to create a launcher script, and give it root permissions.

open gedit (or any other plain-text editor)
and type the following:

#!/bin/bash
/opt/lampp/lampp start

Save it to your desktop, then right click the icon. Properties>Permissions.

Select 'execute'

and you should be good from there!

Repeat the process with the 'stop', you simply have to edit the 2nd line in the script, natch.

Hope this helps!

MaxVK
August 24th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks Tom, but it doesn't seem to work. When I click on the file it asks how it should be run (in terminal etc) but whichever way I try to run it there is a very quick flash on the screen and thats it. Xampp however, is not running.

Its not a real biggie, but its one of those little niggles that Id really like to get sorted out.

Any other ideas anyone?

Cheers

Max

inameiname
August 24th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I had a similar question a few days back, and I was able to figure out a solution. Check it out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1556333

tom.swartz07
August 24th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I had a similar question a few days back, and I was able to figure out a solution. Check it out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1556333

Ah! a cron job! I knew I forgot something.

Yeah, follow the method that inameiname used, that will get it to work, the only thing is, it could only easily be run on a schedule, not upon command.

x1a4
August 25th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Configure your system to open lampp without asking for authentication. Be sure you know exactly why you want to do this. Convenience is not a good reason. Anyway, just edit the file /etc/sudoers. Do it using 'visudo'

sudo visudo
and append

%usergroup LOCAL=NOPASSWD:/opt/lampp/lampp
to the file.

Where %usergroup is the group name of the user(s) who will use lampp without asking for password.

Look in the manual for sudoers(5) and visudo(8).

MaxVK
August 25th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys Ill look into that later on.

Convenience is not a good reason.

x1a4: Your modified method looks like its the one that will be the best, but why do you say this? The whole point is convenience and I'm the only one with access to the machine. Would this produce any serious kind of security risk? (and if so is it possible to keep the convenient method of starting and stopping Xampp while negating the security risk?)

Cheers all

Max

gandaran
August 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
you can also start lampp with gksu in your launcher

gksu /opt/lampp/lampp start
this way you just click the start launcher and type the the password in the gksu dialog box

inameiname
August 25th, 2010, 11:00 AM
To tom.swartz07 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=831692), that method I figured out works just fine for me, both on a schedule (have it run at startup through Startup Applications), AND on command, whenever I feel like clicking the desktop launcher. I even have an alias for it in my .bashrc file for whenevever I feel like running it while using the terminal. So if you're having trouble with not being able to run it on command, I'm not sure why. Just remember you have to insert your own username, (not 'me'), in it, which I forgot to put on my post.

x1a4
August 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM
x1a4: Your modified method looks like its the one that will be the best, but why do you say this? The whole point is convenience and I'm the only one with access to the machine. Would this produce any serious kind of security risk? (and if so is it possible to keep the convenient method of starting and stopping Xampp while negating the security risk?)

I suppose there isn't that big of a security threat as long as you configure xampp, apache, mysql correctly and ensure that you have only allow local users to run it without a password (The LOCAL alias).

BTW I forgot to mention that you probably need to create the host alias. I don't remember if it's created by default. If not add this line

Host_Alias LOCAL = localhost, compname
in the Host alias block of the file (under the '# Host alias specification' comment)
Where compname is the name of your computer.

Remember that you still have to run lampp using sudo/gksudo which (without specifying a user) will run as root and if you have NOPASSWD set it will not ask for a password.

MaxVK
August 25th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Well Xampp is set up nicely so I doubt that Ill have a problem in that respect. Ill be getting on this once I'm back at home!

Cheers

Max