PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Apache 2 Authentication problems

Admiral Yi
August 23rd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hi,
I have set up an apache 2 server, but can't seem to get authentication to work properly. I have set up this in my apache2.conf:

<Directory /var/www>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
Require bob
</Directory>

I have created the passwords file with htpasswd and defiantly have the right password for bob. However, when I try to log in the box just comes up over and over again and never authenticates. What am I doing wrong? I'm a newbie, so please bear with me if I've missed something really stupid.

Ryan Dwyer
August 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Apache might not have read access to the password file. Check Apache's error log (/var/log/apache2/error.log).

Admiral Yi
August 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
I changed the permissions on the file to 777, but it didn't help. I checked the logs, and these are the only two things that stand out

[Mon Aug 23 13:32:52 2010] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] access to / failed, reason: require directives present and no Authoritative handler.

and

[Mon Aug 23 10:15:25 2010] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] File does not exist: /var/www/favicon.ico

cdenley
August 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
<Directory /var/www>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

<Directory /var/www>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/passwords
Require user bob
</Directory>

Admiral Yi
August 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
That worked, thanks.

nikhidet
October 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM
hey
do u create htpasswd file? im trying to authenticate my apache server but till now i still didnt get it.....to make it worse i couldnt even create my htpasswd file huhu...it always give me this following mesej
-cannot create file /usr/local/apache2/passwd/passwords..any ideas?