PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Keyboard not working correctly after crash

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
I was trying to see what the new gnome 3 looked like and mistakenly entered the run application line "gnome-shell --replace" in the bash terminal. When I entered "metacity --replace" to go back to the old configuration, I then lost everything from the desktop except for the 3 icons I had placed there, one of those being the bash terminal icon. I was able to shut the computer off by running "sudo shutdown -r now" from the terminal. On reboot I had my old desktop back.

Now the laptop keyboard is not working correctly. The letters j k l produce the numbers 1 2 3 and u i o produce 4 5 6. The wireless keyboard seems to be working just fine.

How do I fix the keyboard?

How do I find out what else I messed up in the system? Is there a system diagnostic that will check everything to make sure it is working correctly?

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Go to Gnome Control Center and check your keyboard settings there. What version of Ubuntu are you using?

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Just installed Ubuntu 10.04 and am brand new to Linux and Ubuntu.

Where is the Gnome Control Center?

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Press Alt+F2 and type ‘gnome-control-center‘.It can also be found via the MainMenu. Have you rebooted since this happened? How did you aquire the new Gnome3?

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Yes I have rebooted a couple of times. I also do not see the Gnome Control Center anywhere, I looked under main --> system --> administration to see if it was an option that was not turned on but did not see it. I do have a Control Center under Systems if that is the same thing, I was specifically looking for a Gnome Control Center. Does it look kinda like the Control Panel in Windows when opened?

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
Yes...that is the one...as I said I am not on my Linux machine at the moment so I'm working from memory.
You might also try this if you find nothing amiss there.
Very Importan! Before you do the below...answer this question....How did you aquire the new Gnome3?
Reboot and choose the Failsafe kernel. When you get to the desktop open a terminal and run these commands.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-desktop-data
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-control-center
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-menus
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-system-tools
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-session

Then reboot.

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
I was reading an article from this page

http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2010/04/ubuntu-1004-post-install-guide-what-to.html

this is the paragraph

The upcoming version 3.0 of the GNOME desktop environment uses GNOME Shell which is a new interface for interacting with your desktop. If you'd like to try it, there is a version in the Ubuntu repos. Launch it by hitting Alt+F2 to open the "Run Applicatoin" dialog and enter "gnome-shell --replace". Switch back by doing the same thing but enter "metacity --replace" instead.

Click here (apt:gnome-shell) to install gnome-shell

I clicked the link, followed the instruction and then made the mistake of entering "gnome-shell --replace" in the bash terminal instead of the run application box. When I entered "metacity --replace" in the bash terminal I lost everything except a few icons on the desktop.

I have looked in the keyboard icon under the Control Center but see nothing that is obviously wrong.

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Should I go ahead and run the commands?

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Run the commands I listed above and follow the procedure exactly as I have outlined. if you don't know...ask. Reboot after. If that doesn't reconigure your installation tell me. Then you can try
sudo aptitude reinstall ubuntu-desktopbut lets try to avoid that .

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
After I restart in failsafe, is it ok to open firefox to copy the command lines?

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
I entered the commands just as you said, then rebooted. The keyboard is still not working.

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
I entered the commands just as you said, then rebooted. The keyboard is still not working.In your terminal enter the command
gnome-about and tell me the Gnome version number.

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Is this a wireless,usb or PS2 keyboard?

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm using my wireless keyboard to respond to you. It is the keyboard that is on the laptop itself that is not working.

Th5s 5s an exa0*3e 6f what the 6nb6ard 2eyb6ard 5s d65ng <--- This is an example of what the onboard keyboard is doing.

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'm using my wireless keyboard to respond to you. It is the keyboard that is on the laptop itself that is not working.

Th5s 5s an exa0*3e 6f what the 6nb6ard 2eyb6ard 5s d65ng <--- This is an example of what the onboard keyboard is doing.Make and model laptop?

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM
Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
You can look here and try (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaKeys) or HERE (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KeyTouch) or.........Go with the
sudo aptitude reinstall ubuntu-desktop its a Gnome problem and this is short of reinstalling.

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
That did not work either.

jtarin
August 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
That did not work either.
Well it would be easier to reinstall at this point. If you have any data you need to backup or move to a windows partition I would do that. Linux like Windows is a learning experience. You can't do things out of the ordinary and not expect consequences. I wish I had a nickel for everytime I reinstalled Windows,Linux and BSD. I now backup my clean installs with all the software I "need" to another drive.It takes about 15 minutes to revert back after a screw-up. It can still happen....we're human. I had read about Gnome 3 and would have liked to have downloaded it myself, but its not ready yet for a stable system, so I wait. Learn your way around your present system before going out in the wild. It will help prepare you for the worst case scenario.Here's what I use (http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/index.html)...it can be booted from a USB or CD. it's free

Sleven7
August 23rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you for all the help. I have my keyboard back but am unsure of why. I tried a reinstall only to partition the drive again. I've started a new thread on that issue.