PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error: no such partition

mikewbma
August 23rd, 2010, 03:39 AM
Hello Ubuntu buds:

I have a major problem.

I recently updated my ubuntu to the newest version. The update require me to reboot. But after reboot the screen shows

error: no such partition
grub rescue>

My laptop is Acer aspire and it also has window 7 installed and I have no window 7 installation disk.

I Tried many method:

1. I tried to from other post to insert the Ubuntu installation disk. The the screen shows

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

2. I tried to from other post

grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub> makeactive
grub> chainloader +1
grub> boot

I get Unknown command for each
plus i got grub rescue not grub.
and I don't know how to get grub and I don't know what version of
grub I have.

3. reinstall ubuntu
well i tried from other post to press exit at the beginning and select install ubuntu

the screen shows a brief: Critical Temperature and then it shows
method 1.

4: Erecovery disk for window 7.
Stopped half way because of an error.

I also tried other method involve sudo
all I get is
/bin/sh: sudo: not found

Can some expert please help me.

IcarusR
August 23rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Did the UUIDs get changed.

Compare UUIDs in /etc/fstab & /boot/grub/grub.cfg

The following command will show you your drive UUIDs

sudo blkid

phoenix6669
August 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
i'm having the same problem except i'm running vista and i have no vista disk and my wubi iso isn't reading...i've tried the sudo commands but i get the unknown command msg...i've tried boot...but i get unknown command...it doesn't matter what command i put in it still says unknown command...i'm using my netbook rightnow but it doesn't have a diskdrive and my flashdrive is only 256mb...so i think i8 have a real big problem...

phoenix6669
August 23rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
actually mine isn't saying error: no such partition...mine is saying error: no such device and lists the uuid...and i can't boot into vista because of the grub rescue prompt

phoenix6669
August 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
i can't even open a terminal to check the uuids or do anything

bcbc
August 23rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
i can't even open a terminal to check the uuids or do anything

You might be affected by this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/610898

If that is the case, you just need to reinstall the windows bootloader: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

phoenix6669
August 24th, 2010, 01:18 AM
see the thing is...is that at the grub rescue prompt it's saying that the sudo command is unknown so i can't reinstall the grub bootloader and i don't have a vista dvd to access
bootrec.exe /fixboot to fix the vista bootloader if i have to...i type any of this...and it says unknown command sudo...unknown command find...unknown command root...everything i type in is an unknown command
sudo grub

find /boot/grub/stage1

root (hd<a>,<b>)

bcbc
August 24th, 2010, 01:34 AM
see the thing is...is that at the grub rescue prompt it's saying that the sudo command is unknown so i can't reinstall the grub bootloader and i don't have a vista dvd to access
bootrec.exe /fixboot to fix the vista bootloader if i have to...i type any of this...and it says unknown command sudo...unknown command find...unknown command root...everything i type in is an unknown command
sudo grub

find /boot/grub/stage1

root (hd<a>,<b>)

You can't do any of this at the grub prompt. You need to download a windows repair cd and burn it and boot from it. Or boot from an ubuntu cd/usb and use lilo (sudo apt-get install lilo; sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr). that's the only way to fix your issue.

mikewbma
August 24th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Their is no console
and sudo command is unknown

mikewbma
August 24th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Their is some command that work for me

grub rescue>ls
(hd0)(hd0,5)(hd0,3)(hd0,2)(hd0,1)

grub rescue>set
prefix=(hd0,6)/boot/grub
root=hd0,6

mikewbma
August 24th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Come to think of it
the root listed in set does not appear in the ls command
is that the problem.

If it is how do you change it?

drs305
August 24th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Come to think of it
the root listed in set does not appear in the ls command
is that the problem.

If it is how do you change it?

At the grub2 prompt (substitute the correct X,Y values):

set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub
set root=(hdX,Y)

Confirm you have the correct partition by running:

ls (hdX,Y)/boot
to make sure it lists the linux and initrd files.

phoenix6669
August 24th, 2010, 03:34 PM
is there any way i can put the windows re on a 256mb usb stick???...cause thats all i have right now...my net book doesn't have a cd/dvd drive

mikewbma
August 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
At the grub2 prompt (substitute the correct X,Y values):

set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub
set root=(hdX,Y)

Confirm you have the correct partition by running:

ls (hdX,Y)/boot
to make sure it lists the linux and initrd files.

But Their is 5 different combinations of (X,Y) which one is the correct one from the result of ls?

drs305
August 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM
But Their is 5 different combinations of (X,Y) which one is the correct one from the result of ls?

You can run the second command I mentioned, substituting X,Y values from the "ls" command:

ls (hdX,Y)/boot
The one with your Ubuntu installation will provide a result which includes your kernel (vmlinuz) and initrd files. Experiment with the results the "ls" command produced. Most likely your install is (hd0,5) if you have Windows installed or (hd0,1) if Ubuntu is your only OS.

If you still are having problems, run the boot info script from this link:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net
Please place the results within "code" tags (press the # icon to generate the tags).

drs305
August 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM
is there any way i can put the windows re on a 256mb usb stick???...cause thats all i have right now...my net book doesn't have a cd/dvd drive

If you are just trying to restore Windows after messing up the Windows boot, boot to the LiveCD and run the following:

sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
If "sda" is not your Windows drive, change the letter. Disregard any warning messages about missing parts of lilo - you aren't really doing a full installation of lilo.

This should allow Windows to boot if only the MBR was corrupted. If you are having further problems, please start your own thread and describe the problems you are having. Running the boot info script as linked in the previous post would be helpful in the new thread.

mikewbma
August 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM
When I type

grub rescue>ls (hd0,5)/boot
grub rescue>ls (hd0,1)/boot

For both I get
error:unknown filesystem

drs305
August 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM
When I type

grub rescue>ls (hd0,5)/boot
grub rescue>ls (hd0,1)/boot

For both I get
error:unknown filesystem

Did you also try (hd0,2) and (hd0,3), which is the other partition found?

But really, all we can do is guess. If you can't find your partition in one of the "ls" results we need the boot info script results to help you.

mikewbma
August 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
grub rescue> ls (hd0)/boot
grub rescue> ls (hd0,3)/boot
grub rescue> ls (hd0,2)/boot

all

error: unknown filesystem

Maybe is the the boot script we need how do we fetch it

drs305
August 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Maybe is the the boot script we need how do we fetch it

Boot the LiveCD then go to the link in post #15. Download and run the script in accordance with the instructions on the linked page, then copy the results of the RESULTS.txt here.

mikewbma
August 24th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hmm The LiveCD your refering to the Ubuntu installation cd?

drs305
August 24th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Hmm The LiveCD your refering to the Ubuntu installation cd?

Yes. Just any linux cd that can get you to a point where you can access the internet, run a bash script/linux commands and post the results.

mikewbma
August 25th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Well I Tried the Ubuntu CD the newest version downloaded moments ago.

Once I plug in the CD and reboot the computer. The screen show the purple Ubunut logo. Then it shows the error that I posted at the beginning with the

Can not mount /dev/loop0 ...

from the beginning of the thread

Do you think i should try some linux that is not Ubuntu

phoenix6669
August 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
my ubuntu live cd won't boot and i don't have a vista dvd cause my notebook didn't come with one when i bought it...and all i have right now is a flash drive 256Mb Centrios 80x but i don't know if i can make it bootable and i am using an Acer Aspire One right now so i can't even make an image disk

bcbc
August 25th, 2010, 07:42 AM
You can download a vista and 7 recovery cd from here http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

mikewbma
August 26th, 2010, 01:02 AM
If you just have terminal running with out the GUI

Where is the USB located from root. Cuz I can save the shell script in the USB and load it in because the System doesn't have internet.

bcbc
August 26th, 2010, 01:39 AM
If you just have terminal running with out the GUI

Where is the USB located from root. Cuz I can save the shell script in the USB and load it in because the System doesn't have internet.

sudo blkid

will tell you all partitions and devices. I expect the USB partition will be /dev/sdb1 but you should be able to tell.

if it is, you can mount it:

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Then

sudo bash /mnt/pathtoscript/boot_info (press TAB and it will autocomplete)