PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bizarre boot error on ASUS laptop

the2ndgenesis
August 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hey guys. Been a while since I last posted here but I've come across the strangest error since installing 10.04 on my new laptop... if you could help me in any way at all, that'd be wonderful.

My laptop's relevant specs are attached to this post as an image. I am currently dual-booting Windows 7 and 10.04, and both OSs share access to an NTFS partition that came pre-formatted with the laptop.

Here is my problem (and if it sounds like it doesn't make any sense, you'd be right): I have had this laptop for about a week and it seems that the first time I try to boot into Ubuntu from GRUB on any given day, it simply refuses to load. All I'm greeted with is a black screen and a blinking white cursor, and nothing to to but hard reset (an error I've read about on the forums more than once). Perhaps even weirder than that, though, is the fact that it will seem to work after that- but only for the rest of that particular day. Come tomorrow, and the thing will refuse to load yet again. I have no idea why it's acting this way.

Does anyone have any ideas? I had read on the forums that this issue may be caused by my NVidia card, but I have zero idea why it would only refuse to boot up the first time and then is apparently fine after that.

Could anyone help me out? I'm sure hard reseting every time I want to use my Linux partition is terrible for this thing's hard drive. I can post the output of any files you would like to see in the meantime. Thanks for the help, everyone, I really appreciate the effort!

-gen

the2ndgenesis
August 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Aaaaand because the forum seems to have scaled down my screencap beyond readability, here it is in a slightly more legible size:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4982/specsy.png

the2ndgenesis
August 23rd, 2010, 03:09 AM
Shameless bump...