PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Printing Help HP Photosmart

djk21108
August 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hello all. I just purchased a wireless printer from HP.

I am having a bit of an issue making it work with ubuntu. I have the IP address of the wireless printer and it is on my network.

I have installed the hplip application and am able to print with wires.

How do I configure a wireless hp printer?

jonnywombat
August 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Going from memory you need to have the printer connected via usb to a windows computer to input the wireless configuration, but it was a while ago when I did mine.

Once you have set up your wireless info then you can do everything via HPLIP toolbox.

jonnywombat
August 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
There is more info here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HpAllInOne)... looks like you can configure newer printers directly.

djk21108
August 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
There is more info here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HpAllInOne)... looks like you can configure newer printers directly.

Thanks for your interest.

I have set it up with the USB cable and have put the printer on my school's network. I'm not sure where to go from there though. Once I unplug the printer I don't know how to start using it wirelessly.

Morbius1
August 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
What's the model number of the printer?

djk21108
August 22nd, 2010, 11:27 PM
What's the model number of the printer?

This is the HP Photosmart Plus. No numbers.

hotrodder
August 22nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Installing HPLIP from HP and not the repos is the better software choice.

You should just have to tell HPLIP that the printer is wireless and everything should work fine.

Print out a set up sheet from the printer to make sure you have the IP address correct.

Make sure that wireless is turned on in the printer set up screen.

Last but not least, make sure the printer has power.

djk21108
August 23rd, 2010, 12:44 AM
Installing HPLIP from HP and not the repos is the better software choice.

You should just have to tell HPLIP that the printer is wireless and everything should work fine.

Print out a set up sheet from the printer to make sure you have the IP address correct.

Make sure that wireless is turned on in the printer set up screen.

Last but not least, make sure the printer has power.

Quick question:

Do I have to be on the same network as my printer? My school has a wireless B and G network and the printer I believe is B only.

Anywho, I know the printer is connected to the network I'm on. I enter the ip address into the add printer utility on Ubuntu.

When I try to print on it, nothing comes out.

mapes12
August 23rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Left click your Network Manager icon and enable the printer. Any luck?

mhawkins2
August 25th, 2010, 06:56 PM
This may or may not be helpful in your specific case it does address HPLIP device setup problems and I just spent 2 days trying to fix it. I hope I can save others the frustration.

My HP Photosmart C309g-m was working perfectly until it didn't. The HPLIP device manager could no longer find it. I removed and reinstalled the software several times from both the HP site and the Ubuntu repositories trying different options.

Finally it was the simple option that fixed it. If your wireless printer is not found by the device discover in HPLIP,
1) Open the Device Discovery Dialogue,
2) Show the Advanced Options,
3) Select Manual Discovery
4) Enter the IP address of the wireless printer

Note you can get the IP address by using the printer's own control panel to print a status report.

Now my printer and scanner are working again.

I hope this helps others.