PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remote Desktop problem

Ck.asdf
August 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hello, my girlfriend just went off to college & she took my desktop computer with Ubuntu 10.04 with her. She's not used to it, so I figured I'd be able to help her occasionally with remote desktop. She is plugged straight to a modem, so there's no firewall, and I can connect, but once I'm connected, I get a static image that does not update no matter what I click on or do with the keyboard. She reports that whatever I click on opens or does whatever, but I'm not seeing it. I can see the mouse moving around, as can she, but that's about it.

Any ideas on how to rectify this? I've used different VNC viewers, but that hasn't helped, so perhaps the problem is on her end? One other thing - before I gave it to her, I was using Remote Desktop on the local network, and had the same problem, but at that point, it didn't matter too much since it was in the same house. Now it's 120 miles away.

Thanks!

MSich
October 1st, 2010, 04:20 AM
I'm having this exact same issue. If you found a solution, I'd sure like to know what it is. Thanks.

Ck.asdf
October 1st, 2010, 04:47 AM
Nope, haven't found anything yet. Any ideas from anyone else?

learning_
October 1st, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hello, my girlfriend just went off to college & she took my desktop computer with Ubuntu 10.04 with her. She's not used to it, so I figured I'd be able to help her occasionally with remote desktop. She is plugged straight to a modem, so there's no firewall, and I can connect, but once I'm connected, I get a static image that does not update no matter what I click on or do with the keyboard. She reports that whatever I click on opens or does whatever, but I'm not seeing it. I can see the mouse moving around, as can she, but that's about it.

Any ideas on how to rectify this? I've used different VNC viewers, but that hasn't helped, so perhaps the problem is on her end? One other thing - before I gave it to her, I was using Remote Desktop on the local network, and had the same problem, but at that point, it didn't matter too much since it was in the same house. Now it's 120 miles away.

Thanks!

the problem is you're visual effects settings. I believe the effects settings are autoset to the middle option. You'll have to turn the setting to "None" and then log out, and back in to reset the system. It should work after this.

Ck.asdf
October 1st, 2010, 06:25 AM
I believe I tried that, but I can try it again. Perhaps I didn't restart the computer. To confirm, I need to turn the effects off on her computer (the one I want to control), not mine, right?