PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wi-fi issues (dell inspiron)

spd1989
August 22nd, 2010, 02:11 AM
I'm pretty new to ubuntu and I am sure that has already been brought up and solved but,I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a few different computers and laptops with no problem. I would really like to put it on my laptop but I cant seem to find a wi-fi driver that works. The proprietary ones that come with ubuntu do not work. I'm not sure how to enter commands either. So a downloadable driver would be ideal. Thank you

Laptop stats:
Dell Inspiron 1545
Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-card
802.11 abgn

earthpigg
August 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
hi,

Google is telling me that the Dell wireless card you mention is a rebranded Broadcom card.

Post 52 in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1390979) has a list of possible solutions. Once you try one solution, you may need to undo it prior to trying other solutions - if you don't, then things wont work even though no error message will tell you that. I discovered this the hard way: check out post 72.

If you've been trying different things, i would suggest taking a look at post 72, and then moving to post 21. I'm biased, of course, as those are both my posts documenting what has worked for me. :D

sandyd
August 22nd, 2010, 02:27 AM
nvm

babo1453
February 13th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Late to the party, but if anyone is still having problems:

Dell 1545 - Ubuntu 10.10 install with Broadcom 4312. After hours of issues and reinstalls, I've found that the Broadcom STA driver works perfectly. Somehow, however, in install my BIOS reverted my Fn/multimedia keys, so everytime I hit the Wifi button it was just hitting F2 and vice versa.

Properly connected now.