PDA

View Full Version : Various issues for first time user

mr_simon13
August 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
I have just taken a delivery of a second hand Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook, and it came with an unauthentic version of Windows 7 on it, so I thought, what better time to give Linux a go?

I used my USB drive to put Ubuntu Netbook on it (the latest version, I can't remember which specifically and can't find it detailed anywhere), and I'm having a few issues.

First, the whole interface is very jerky. This is a good netbook and handled Windows 7 fine, but Linux is being very unresponsive.

Second: I can't figure out how to hook it up to my Wifi connection. The network tab in the System area doesn't seem to give me the option, and the wifi logo at the top is greyed out with a red ! over it. Clicking that gives me the option of VPN Connections, Connect to Hidden Wireless Network, or Create New Wireless Network, the other two options above these are greyed out.

And third, I can't figure out how to change the resolution. In Monitor Preferences, it does not recognise the monitor, and has put it into a 800x576(4:3) res with 0Hz Refresh Rate, but I know this netbook can go to [EDIT: (1366x760 16:9].

Sorry to post so many questions at once, hope someone can help. Thanks

theepdinker
August 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM
For the wireless connection, a proprietary driver may be required.

See <http://www.ubuntumini.com/2010/04/broadcom-wireless-driver-fix-in-lucid.html> for instructions

_0R10N
August 21st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Your graphic and wireless issues are caused because the proper drivers are not installed yet. Take a look in your Hardware Drivers window. Ubuntu may have already found the drivers you need, and is waiting for you to activate them.

mrgs
August 21st, 2010, 09:31 PM
Have you installed all updates using wired internet access?

ironic.demise
August 21st, 2010, 09:33 PM
Monitor resolution can be changed at system>preferences>monitors but may need the drivers mentioned.

Update the system and try to open a terminal and type sudo apt-get update

mr_simon13
August 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
I have sorted the wifi, as suggested it needed a wired connection first to install the appropriate drivers.

Ironic demise: "Update the system and try to open a terminal and type sudo apt-get update" - I apologise but I have absolutely no idea how to do that! Any chance you could break it down for me please?

As for the rest of the drivers, it only automatically picked two wifi drivers, and then the Hardware Drivers utility closes - how would I go about installing one for the screen?

DougieFresh4U
August 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Upper left corner
Applications>Accessories>Terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
one at a time
it will prompt you for password and when you type it, you won't see it but it will recognized

mr_simon13
August 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Upper left corner
Applications>Accessories>Terminal

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgradeone at a time
it will prompt you for password and when you type it, you won't see it but it will recognized

This seemed to update ok, but I'm not sure its done anything. In the monitor utility it still won't recognise the monitor, and I haven't a clue how to find the driver for it.

c.c.rascal
August 22nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
Your graphic and wireless issues are caused because the proper drivers are not installed yet. Take a look in your Hardware Drivers window. Ubuntu may have already found the drivers you need, and is waiting for you to activate them.
im a newbie to ubuntu well even windows but this looks like the same problem ive had also what else has happened when booting back into windows from hard drive i get a blue screen crash could this also be down to drivers thanks and very much appreciated

tjktyler
August 22nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Under System>Administration>Hardware Drivers OR go to Terminal and type
sudo jockey jockey is the name of the Hardware Drivers program. It will search for drivers and attempt to install them for you.

farsight
August 22nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Hey there,

I thought you might find this a useful source of information on your system, the output of the program potentially leading you towards the correct driver for your monitor:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/system-hardware-information-and-run-reports.html

I think you might also find this page useful, however I have not used it to offer any additional support at present:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

Farsight