PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu doesn't recognise my CD/DVD drive

Templar00
August 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Long time reader (mainly when I've broke it), first time poster (mainly 'cause this time I can't fix it).

I'm sorry to bring you a problem you've probably seen before, but I've searched for the last 3 hours, tried it all, and had no luck.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, and have been doing so with generally great success for the last year.

Now, after 12 months of Ubuntu, I decided to get adventurous, and test out Kubuntu, and possibly flash up Puppy Linux as well (just out of curiosity, I hear that is only dangerous to cats). This may or not be relevant, I don't know.

Today my DVD drive refuses to mount. More than that, the laptop won't even believe it is there. I've flipped over to Vista (Which I dual boot, but haven't needed to for the last 6 months) to prove it isn't a hardware issue, and indeed, it recognises the blank disc I currently have in there.

When I put in a CD the drive spins gently for a little while, then decides it can't be bothered, and stops. I've tried going to "Places" to see if the CD drive is on there - it was earlier, and I tried mounting it, but it wouldn't let me. Now it isn't even there.

I spotted this thread dated a week or so ago (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1549545&page=2), and tried it all. When I got to the Wodim stage it recognises my USB modem (I'm on one of those stupid broadband dongle things), but not my DVD drive. It seems to me that when I plug the USB in, the DVD drive stops working. Does that make any sense to you?

Thanks guys in advance. I'll buy the guy/girl who fixes this a beer (but only if you're in London!)

Rich

jonnywombat
August 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM
Have you confirmed that if you remove the usb dongle your dvd works again?

As you think the issue is usb related what is the output of the
lsusb

Templar00
August 21st, 2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Johnny,

That's the weird thing - if I put in the USB, then the DVD drive sometimes stops working. But if I take it out again, the DVD drive doesn't restart. I did get it working earlier, by restarting it with a CD in, but right now it doesn't recognise it again, even though I just started it with CD in place.

Lsusb gets me this:

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b008 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd USB 2.0 Camera
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I will admit I'm not great with the terminal - I follow instructions quite well, but I haven't memorised all the commands, nor know what many of them do. So please, be gentle!

Oh, and I am pretty sure it isn't a BIOS problem, as I have been booting Puppy Linux all day from CD (Though I can't get the ****ing thing booting from USB, like I want to!)

Templar00
August 24th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Any ideas at all? I've just had the same problem happen again - suddenly not recognising the DVD drive, then recognising it but swearing blind it's empty, then eventually after a restart or two, believing me when I say there is a DVD in there.