PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open Office 3.2.1 Installation

Ottawajoe
August 21st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Open Office downloaded an update which is now on my desktop. It is a .tar.GZ file. How do I install it so that I may begin using this updated Openoffice suite?

thanks

kaldor
August 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Ottawa ftw!

Anyway, this is Ubuntu. Ubuntu doesn't even use OpenOffice. It's a rebranded (though mislabled) version of GO-OO by Novell.

The tar.gz you downloaded isn't really going to be much use. It's best to just use what you have; Ubuntu/Debian use repositories to manage software, and it's much easier to just stick with your current version. The newest versions eventually get ported and updated in Ubuntu anyway.

sikander3786
August 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Open Office downloaded an update which is now on my desktop. It is a .tar.GZ file. How do I install it so that I may begin using this updated Openoffice suite?

thanks

As kaldor said, it is better to use the update manager or

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

It will look after all the updates that are ported to Ubuntu. And this way, your system will be much more stable.

Regards.

Paddy Landau
August 21st, 2010, 04:32 PM
There are two ways to install OO.

The first is through the repository.

However, if you want the latest version, then this is how you go about it.

First, completely uninstall the existing OpenOffice.

Go to Synaptic Package Manager, find all installed instances of OpenOffice, and Mark for Complete Removal.
Apply to uninstall.
Recommended: Also delete the folder .openoffice.org in your home directory.

Second, install the newest version.

Go to OpenOffice's website and download the Linux DEB file (it's actually a tar file, so I think you already downloaded it).
Extract the contents (right-click the tar file and select Extract Here). It should create its own folder.
Now you have to open a terminal (Accessories > Terminal).
Change directory to the new folder (cd ~/<foldername>). You should see a folder called DEBS.
Enter the following command:

sudo dpkg -Ri DEBS

Voilą!

Thanks (as usual) to Hagar de l'Est in his Ubuntu OO tutorial (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68), which is worth a read.

Paddy Landau
August 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM
And this way, your system will be much more stable.
Unfortunately, with OO, I've not always found the Ubuntu version to be the most stable.

sikander3786
August 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately, with OO, I've not always found the Ubuntu version to be the most stable.

But it has been very much stable for me after every update. I've never had any issues regarding OO ever.

KegHead
August 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi!

I just typed in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

Worked great after;

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Hope this helps!

KegHead