PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Weird problem installing Lucid Lynx

jrj350
August 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hi all,
I bought a used SONY notebook, which had MS Windows XP as the operating system. Using the new GParted cd, I formatted the complete drive to ext4 file system.
Okay, so good, so far. (maybe)
Then, using the Ubuntu 10.04 downloaded .iso cd, I installed Ubuntu. Yippee ! My first, completely free of Microsoft programs.
Now all is up and running.
But I have this weird thing, which if possible, I would like to be rid of.
I have this 1 MB, (one megabyte) partition, (I guess it is a partition) in front of the main partition. I can't delete it, nor can I format it, name it, change it, or do anything with it. It just sits there. I wonder if it has something to do with the previously installed windows XP.
I know 1 MB on a 250 GB hard drive is less than a drop in the bucket, but for learning purposes, can anyone explain what I did or did not do that I shouldn't or should have done?;)

Iowan
August 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM
Dunno if this (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/02/29/delete-and-remove-to-unlock-eisa-hidden-recovery-or-diagnostic-partition-in-vista/) is similar to your problem...
(Admittedly, the solution is for Vista)

jrj350
August 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thank you, Iowan, that certainly sounds like my thing. Unfortunately for me, I have already wiped the hard disk, so there is no MS Windows program for me to use. No big deal, at least I have an idea as to why the stinking little partition is there.:p