PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thermal sensors / fan control on Dell Adamo

Ole_M
August 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM
There appear to be five thermal sensors in the Dell Adamo. Two are for the two CPU cores. What are the other three assigned to?

How can I tweak the fan control? The fan state is binary (on/off) so far. A finer control would be nice.

Ole

Ole_M
September 4th, 2010, 02:38 PM
bump

Dell cannot tell me what the other 3 thermal sensors are for, because it is a "company secret". Yeah. Sure. Strange way to admit that they have no clue.

So the questions persist. Any ideas about the sensors or the fan control?

Lateralis
September 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Setting up fan control is relatively straightfoward - if a little involved - in Linux operating systems.

I would explain how to do everything step-wise but there are a few good guides out there, including this one: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fan_Speed_Control. Follow the instructions contained in this thread and you should have fan control.

I suppose at this point I should echo the warning contained in the link. What you will be doing is fiddling with your PC's cooling, specifically turning off the CPU fan, albeit for a few seconds. You do this at your own risk.

As for what the other sensors are for... there can be, and often are temperature sensors just about everywhere in a PC - hard drives, northbridge, southbridge, graphics card, CPU cores etc... A question for you: how did you determine what sensors you have in your compute?

jcolyn
September 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
A question for you: how did you determine what sensors you have in your compute?

sensors at the terminal if you have lm-sensors installed and have run
sensors-detect and answered yes to all of the questions..

Lateralis
September 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I know that jcolyn... I was asking he how he detected his sensors. If Ole knew about lm-sensors then he was only a commands away from having fan control and would probably have stumbled upon a web guide. So I was just curious as to whether Ole did use lm-sensors to divine how many temperature sensors he has or some other method. (Manual, psychic powers, other Dell users who said there are 5 sensors etc...)

Ole_M
September 5th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Aye, some activity here. :D Thanks for the replies.

The link about the fan-control looks very promising. I will try it the next few days. Seems I searched not thoroughly enough for this problem. My apologies.

As for the sensors: Psychic powers it is. Ok, not quite. I tried the "sensors" approach, among others. The two core-sensors are labeled as such. The other three are called meaningfully temp1/temp2/temp3. Besides that, I browsed
/sys/class/hwmon and
/sys/bus/i2c/devices to look for these sensors manually. This, however, did not reveal new information.

Ole