PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] cpu at idle and fan speed

Zhuyou
August 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM
I believe it's the ubuntu in general since i've try lubuntu and than xubuntu. But after turning it on for maybe 5minutes with browser out, fan turn on on my netbook acer aspire one d250. It's a pretty loud fan if you're in a quiet room, so I was waiting for it to turn off by shutting all the program and wait it out, it never did. Eventually, the netbook got hotter, and fan keep spinning. know what's the deal with that?

2nd one, the cpu at idle is really out there. On xubuntu, it was idle for 5-10minutes and when i come back and check it, it was running at 20-30% and stay there the whole time for a minute. After that, i"m not sure if it keep going at that high cpu usage because I got disgruntled and turn it off. Any acer aspire one user out there having this problem? I'm going to put back window 7 and see if it'll do the same thing on it.

Any comments/answer is appreciated. Thanks.

Zhuyou
August 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
well, thanks for the response, or lack thereof. I just decided to go back to windows 7, faster than anything in linux for netbook that I know and works well. Maybe I'll come back once it's old enough to be supported.

Rubi1200
August 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
With all due respect, but I cannot believe you gave up only 55 minutes after asking your question!?

The fan: maybe it is dirty and needs to be cleaned? Other factors can also affect it such as ventilation etc.

The CPU: sounds fairly normal; don't forget there are background processes running on any operating system, Ubuntu included. And you became
disgruntled after
a minute when it was running at
20-30%???

Zhuyou
August 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM
yes, I do get disgruntled with 20-30% of my cpu at idle. Especially since window at idle give me 1-5% almost every time.

As for no response? well, would have you notice this thread at all if I didn't repost it myself and it's on top again? I believe anything below the first page on this forum get buried pretty quickly. While it wasn't even close to the 2nd page of the link, i've post similiar post yesterday and no response on anything as well. At least it coulda been a hi , welcome to ubuntu forum, or something that they at least see it and acknowledge it. Guess it's too much to hope.

Maybe I ask the wrong type of questions, but i decided it's probably not worth the effort anymore to post. Thanks for the reply, though.

Rubi1200
August 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
yes, I do get disgruntled with 20-30% of my cpu at idle. Especially since window at idle give me 1-5% almost every time.

As for no response? well, would have you notice this thread at all if I didn't repost it myself and it's on top again? I believe anything below the first page on this forum get buried pretty quickly. While it wasn't even close to the 2nd page of the link, i've post similiar post yesterday and no response on anything as well. At least it coulda been a hi , welcome to ubuntu forum, or something that they at least see it and acknowledge it. Guess it's too much to hope.

Maybe I ask the wrong type of questions, but i decided it's probably not worth the effort anymore to post. Thanks for the reply, though.
There are a couple of things you need to bear in mind:

1. all the people here on the forums are volunteers; that means if someone has time and the ability to answer a question they will. And waiting for an hour is really not that big a deal?

2. there are people, myself included, who use the Forum Tools menu near the top of the page to search for unanswered posts and reply to them

Bottom line: I think it is a pity you became frustrated so quickly and did not wait for an answer.

But, at the end of the day, we all make our choices.

I wish you the best of luck no matter what operating system you decide to use.

jonnywombat
August 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
I think you will find your system was not idle in the strict sense of the word.

In ubuntu The system monitor usually will use about 15 to 25% of cpu. I realise your using xubuntu but I would think xfce's system monitor would use a similar amount.

If you switch to the processes tab and click to sort by cpu usage then you would see how much the system monitor was using, and you would have a truer picture of what was going on.

As for the fan thing there are few bugs with acpi which can cause the fan not to turn off again. There are loads of threads around which explore this, but you might need to dig a bit to find one which fits your issue.

Here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1535871&highlight=acpi+fan) is somewhere to start