PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opening multiple applications with one keyboard shortcut

konrad_f
August 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I would like to open multiple applications with one keyboard shortcut but don't get it running. When I add (open "System" > "Preference" > "Keyboard Shortcuts"; clicked "Add" ) a new shortcut and enter many commands in the "Command" field e.g. "gnome-terminal & xeyes" only the first application is started. I also tried to set up a shell script that contains the application calls and then use "gnome-terminal -x "sh /path/to/the/script.sh" but then I get the error message "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal". Any suggestions how to get this working?

Cheers

sharathcshekhar
August 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM
To use gedit and gvim as 2 applications, you can create a script like

#! /bin/bash
gvim &
gedit &

chmod +x script.sh

And then add this to the command in shortcuts: /full/path/script.sh
And you are done.

konrad_f
August 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Not sure what I did differently but your suggested solution work fine. Thanks a lot!

Gaygerbil
August 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
In case you're curious the reason your shortcut wasn't working is cuz you only had one '&' symbol instead of two.

It should be something like this:

vlc && exaile && skype

That would launch all three. When you only put 1 '&' it'll just launch the first app and ignore the rest of your command cuz it doesn't recognize it.