PDA

View Full Version : First blender model - myst planetarium

chips24
August 21st, 2010, 02:42 AM
This isnt the best, i personally think the my moddeling job was good, but i cant figure out how to make my textures look good, i want a really and realistic nice rock texture.

It is the planetarium from the classic game myst.

I can definitely Improve because it looks pretty savage.

chips24
August 21st, 2010, 02:45 AM
hmm, i cant uplaod the .blend file...
I will be doing every build on the island by the end of the next 3 months, than i will draw the bump map and actually create the island.
i think the boat and the map will be the hardest, well, apart from my poor textures...
how do you put a template over the model so you can modify, or for clarification, a transparent image that goes over the screen so i can trace the object with my modeling powers!!?
with my model, the center was on the right of the object, how do i reset where i want the center to be?
do you know any good tutorials i can find on the internet so i can make my own textures with gimp on the internet?
can i make really good textures with the procedural texture idea, the textures that come with blender??
if i can, can you send me some basic instructions for making common textures, like water, rock, brick, wood, and metal?
another thing i found- the door is too big.
ive tried to follow the instructions online, but mine just turn out to me brown spots instead of groth rings on wood...

chips24
August 21st, 2010, 03:30 AM
here is a render.
I dnot know why, but it took me a really long time to make the model...

chips24
August 21st, 2010, 04:22 AM
This isnt actually my first, my first models (or spheres with textures on them) can be seen here --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1190207

23dornot23d
August 23rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
If you can upload the file using gmail or something similar ..... or any web page creator
most usually allow the upload of files ..... depends on the size ..... Blender files can get into Megs -
make sure to zip it if its big.

Then we can look in more detail at the textures.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2396/screenshotph.jpg

I am just getting used to the new version ..... but the old version of Blender
seemed a lot easier to use ..... Link to the model I created here as a 3ds file (https://sites.google.com/site/blenderlearn/assignments/blenderfiles/dome-hollow.3ds?attredirects=0)
but no textures on this yet ....

I can get the textures to display on the screen ,,, and after using edit mode .... can get the individual triangles
to have textures on them ..... but with a square cube ,,,, and practicing .... what a laugh .....

http://i34.tinypic.com/2guw8hv.jpg

I have ticked every box ...... that I can see to do with rendering faces ...... but I get plane white or grey
I have to go back to the old version ..... this is driving me NUTS .....

It looks ok on the screen where we view it ...... the render is the thing that should impress and be better but its not on mine
everything is grey (nice if you like grey) rocks are grey - shame the texture is not showing in the render.

Mine it is the opposite ...... will soon get there ..... there will be one button somewhere that I have not pressed
and it will be dead obvious ......

Here is a link to it in Wings3d ..... even there the textures show up ..... not perfect ..... but at least they are showing
Link to Wings3D and as I progress with this one .... Project 57 (https://sites.google.com/site/blenderlearn/assignments/project-057)

chips24
January 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM
so, i took another try at modeling the planetarium, and it looks alot better than my old one previously on the screen, but ive come across another problem, how do i apply a texture two different parts of the same mesh? is that possible?
i will post another screenshot.
the image on the bottom right is from the video game that im copying it from, im still a beginner so im still having trouble with textures.
i eventually want to model the whole island, so how do i import previously created projects onto my new projects?

chips24
January 28th, 2011, 07:24 PM
oh yes, and here are two other models i made yesterday.

Grafens
January 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM
so, i took another try at modeling the planetarium, and it looks alot better than my old one previously on the screen, but ive come across another problem, how do i apply a texture two different parts of the same mesh? is that possible?

To add two materials to single mesh.
Goto > Edit mode > select only the faces you want to apply texture to then hit “p” this will partition that segment from the mesh. Goto > Object mode, apply textures in usual way to that part. Stay in Object mode and select the remainder of the mesh and apply the other textures you want. > render. Now you should have a mesh with two different textures applied.

Good work by the way.
Grafens

chips24
February 3rd, 2011, 08:48 PM
To add two materials to single mesh.
Goto > Edit mode > select only the faces you want to apply texture to then hit “p” this will partition that segment from the mesh. Goto > Object mode, apply textures in usual way to that part. Stay in Object mode and select the remainder of the mesh and apply the other textures you want. > render. Now you should have a mesh with two different textures applied.

Good work by the way.
Grafens
thankyou, however, it makes a completely separate mesh, but this hotkey is really useful.:guitar:

chips24
July 28th, 2011, 04:13 AM
it seems like no matter how i try to recalculate it or subdivide, i always get artifacts of some sort.

darubio
July 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM
not bad man :D