PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Accidentally my whole pictures folder

Lexyboy
August 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hi All,

(begin rant)

So, I was browsing to a folder of photos in Gnome, selected my "Pictures" folder and then pressed return... except that I hit delete by mistake (stupidly close on my keyboard). No Pictures folder any more. OK, I'll just open Deleted Items...

Not there either. Not anywhere (did a shell 'find')

All I can think is that I must have hit delete and enter in rapid succession, first deleting the folder then confirming permanent deletion since it's too big for the bin (>10GB). Any other ideas?

Anyway, have most of it backed up - just a bit of a rant that it should be so easy to do this! Surely the confirmation should default to 'cancel'??

Doesn't seem to be any easy way of getting my files back... (on ext4 if it helps).

Paul820
August 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Photorec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download
EDIT: Search synaptic for testdisk, photorec comes with it.

sikander3786
August 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hi.

Not so easy to recover deleted data from the HDD on any OS. If you have a back up, stick to it. Still if you want to try to recover that folder, a few useful links are mentioned in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1552088) thread.

Regards.

LowSky
August 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Anyway, have most of it backed up - just a bit of a rant that it should be so easy to do this! Surely the confirmation should default to 'cancel'??

The standard practice is for Yes to be highlighted , even in Windows and Mac. Sorry for your bad luck.

If you are afraid of this happening again change the permissions for the folder to only allow read access. This way only sudo or another user you apply will have writing access to the folder and deletion will not be possible.

David Andersson
August 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Open Synaptic, quick search for recover files. About seven of the matching packages appears to be about recovering deleted files. (Search > Description and Name for slightly other seven packages to do the same.)

Note, there is no guarantee, if the disk has been used since the delete, or if it is fragmented.

Anyway, have most of it backed up - just a bit of a rant that it should be so easy to do this!

I know. I just wanted to rant at #2 about going out on the internet to get software.

Paul820
August 20th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I know. I just wanted to rant at #2 about going out on the internet to get software.
Yeah, well go rant somewhere else, there was an edit in there, or didn't you happen to notice that?

Rubi1200
August 20th, 2010, 07:56 PM
There are different options mentioned here as well:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

Good luck!

uRock
August 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Don't download anything within the OS, you may write over the location where some of the photos are.

Lexyboy
August 27th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advice - I'd already looked into Testdisk and Photorec, but seemed like a lot of hassle when I had most of the files backed up. (Also I got an error when using Testdisk which I couldn't be bothered to get to the bottom of)

In fact I've just tested it with another big folder and it didn't even ask for confirmation - just deleted the lot without trace :( Need to have a look at how to get Gnome to mollycoddle me a bit...