PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network-Manager missing after update (Lynx 10.04LTS)

gansvv
August 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hi, I did the normal sudo apt-get update and upgrade this morning and after a restart, the network-manager is gone!
nm-applet command does not work anymore.

Can I add the LAN ethernet interface using ifconfig and connect to the net to install the network-manager again? What is the best way to solve this? Thanks.

gansvv
August 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Used the 10.04.1 alternate-install disk to install "network-manager-gnome". Works now.
(network-manager was there, but network-manager-gnome wasn't installed.)

Would be good to know why it got removed in the first place though.

Mr.Comix
August 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM
I do not have a alternate-install CD
can I build a Network Manager icon on my panel using some command
i just deleted it by accident
Thank you :)

jeff17237
October 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
I've had the exact same problem.. I have no idea why this happens but would love to know and hope they are working on it.

jeff17237
October 7th, 2010, 01:39 AM
For anyone in the future having this problem, use whatever you are using now to get internet, download this package to a flash drive (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/net/network-manager-gnome), install it back onto ubuntu and you should be good to go.

NOTE: the above package is for Lucid, so if you have another distribution, find your release at packages.ubuntu.com and look for network-manager-gnome

jusis
January 31st, 2011, 04:17 PM
thank you jeff, I installed the package to usb and copy-pasted to home folder. but from there I cannot move on.

when I click on the same package on another working computer, software center opens to reinstall the network manager (since on this computer it is already installed).
so this is supposed to be one of the possible ways it normally gets installed on the computer I suppose.
however, when I, on the partially-upgraded computer, right click on the package and select from the menu "open with ubuntu software center" , this doesn't follow, the software center doesn't open.

also I tried it with synaptic. when I select file>add downloaded packages, the file is greyed in the opening window, hence I cannot select it for adding.

and, with the terminal, I don't know the way to install the downloaded package.

could you please help me know more to solve this?

many thanks!! :)