PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Motherboards and RAM

trampintransit
August 20th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Ive inherited a box of old stuff. I'd like to assemble four 'puters from the following;-
Motherboards
MSI P4MAM2-V is this one by far the newer?
ASUS D33005
ABIT VA-10
Aopen MX34
I presume that is the order of 'newness'/ quality and should be considered in that order?

RAM is a mixed bag..how do I best pair up ( All the motherboards are twin slot ) from the following..

Kingston KVR333x64c25 / 256
Twin mos PC2100 512
Crucial DDR400 512
Rdata DDR400 256
Crucial DDR333 256( there is two of these)
Twinmos PC3200 256
Hynix PC2100 DDR 256

Ive got four cases and power supplies, clearly not enough RAM really ,but I thought I could load Mint/ubuntu onto these and give them to friends with bloated windows PC's ***** are too afraid to change, then if they get into it, they can maybe upgrade the RAM.
Suggestions gratefully received.

kevinatkins
August 20th, 2010, 02:05 PM
OK, I'm not personally familiar with any of the hardware you've listed, but a quick Google suggests that you've got them in the right order of quality.

You could probably discount the AOpen MX34 - that's getting very old and crusty now, and none of the memory listed would work with it either.

MSI / Asus probably best (Asus in particular = good quality) - you could build a couple of reasonable rigs I should think.

You don't say whether the mobos have got processors fitted..

If you can get a machine together with a Pentium 4, at least 512MB RAM, you've got a good chance of making something worthwhile. If you install Lubuntu instead of Ubuntu, you'll have something that flies, but even Ubuntu runs acceptably in 512MB...

alevin46
August 21st, 2010, 04:59 AM
Hello Friends.........

There are many things to consider when selecting a Mother-Board. The CPU, type of RAM (and the amount) you intend on installing in the system, number and type of slots (ISA, EISA, VLB, PCI) and their location in relation to the case you will be putting the Mother board in. Upgradability, Integration, Expandability,

Make sure it uses STANDARD types of RAM modules. 72 pin 60ns EDO non-parity RAM is the current standard and will have some longevity in this industry.

Thanks

cascade9
August 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM
MSI P4MAM2-V supports P4 400/533MHz FSB models, DDR200/266 (PC1600/2100), nasty VIA 'pro savage' chipset.

Abit VA-10- Socket A athlon (all models), DDR200/266/333 (PC1600/2100/2700), not quite so nasty VIA KM400 chipset.

I'd go for the Abit over the MSI myself, depending on what CPUs you have or can source.

Asus D33005- no idea, I cant find a asus motherboard with that model number.

Aopen MX34- P3/Celeron Socket 370, 133FSB, PC133 SD RAM, VIA 694 chipset. Old and slow, and very hard to find decent amounts of PC133 these days. Not worth chasing IMO.

Hello Friends.........

There are many things to consider when selecting a Mother-Board. The CPU, type of RAM (and the amount) you intend on installing in the system, number and type of slots (ISA, EISA, VLB, PCI) and their location in relation to the case you will be putting the Mother board in. Upgradability, Integration, Expandability,

Make sure it uses STANDARD types of RAM modules. 72 pin 60ns EDO non-parity RAM is the current standard and will have some longevity in this industry.

Thanks

EISA? VLB? EDO RAM? This post brought to you from 1997. :lolflag: