PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Closing java ports

fenrisW0lf
August 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

I ran this command:

sudo netstat -tuplAnd it spit out this:

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp 0 0 localhost:mysql *:* LISTEN 780/mysqld
tcp 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN 795/apache2
tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN 683/sshd
tcp6 0 0 [::]:xmpp-client [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:5223 [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:5229 [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:7443 [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:xmpp-server [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:ssh [::]:* LISTEN 683/sshd
tcp6 0 0 [::]:7070 [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:7777 [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:9090 [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
tcp6 0 0 [::]:9091 [::]:* LISTEN 731/java
udp 0 0 *:mdns *:* 651/avahi-daemon: r
udp 0 0 *:60412 *:* 651/avahi-daemon: r
udp 0 0 *:bootpc *:* 577/dhclient3I was wondering how to close all ports that the java service was listening on except for xmpp-client and xmpp-server as I have openfire running to service jabber IM?

I am running ubuntu server lucid lynx.

Thanks!

spynappels
August 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Are you using IPv6? All the Java instances are running on IPv6 so if you do not have it active, there should be no problem.

cdenley
August 20th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The same process (PID 731) is listening for connections on all those ports. If you don't want to listen on those ports, then you either have to configure that process not to, or stop the process from running. Or you could just filter those ports with a firewall, but you shouldn't run a server if you can't even control what ports it listens on.

fenrisW0lf
August 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
I am not running ipv6 but am annoyed that I can't figure out how to tell the java process to stop listening.

<snip> but you shouldn't run a server if you can't even control what ports it listens on.

cdenley, thanks for the enthusiasm - my firewall filters those ports just fine. It is a personal server that I use to learn with, hence the question. I was wondering about information on how to close those ports (or at least where to look) and I thought that this was the right place to ask. I guess not...

cdenley
August 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
cdenley, thanks for the enthusiasm - my firewall filters those ports just fine. It is a personal server that I use to learn with, hence the question. I was wondering about information on how to close those ports (or at least where to look) and I thought that this was the right place to ask. I guess not...

Well, you never even told us what the java process is, so how can we tell you how to configure which ports it listens on? There is no universal way to tell a process to stop listening on a particular port. You typically edit a configuration file for that specific application, then the application chooses which ports to listen on based on that configuration. You may be able to create an apparmor rule to restrict the process from listening on a particular port, but if that is possible, I suspect it would cause your java application to fail to start after it fails to listen on that port.