PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which laptop should i buy?

higashi
August 20th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I'm planning on buying a laptop soon and I was wondering which ones work best with ubuntu (and which ones i can use ubuntu/linux on without voiding my warranty). So, what is the best performing laptop with the lowest price that i would be able to find with good ubuntu/linux support?

afroman10496
August 20th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I'm planning on buying a laptop soon and I was wondering which ones work best with ubuntu (and which ones i can use ubuntu/linux on without voiding my warranty). So, what is the best performing laptop with the lowest price that i would be able to find with good ubuntu/linux support?

Hmmm... i would reccomend a toshiba especially the satalite series becuase it works perfectly on my laptop (the 15 inch lp series). the're really fast and i got mine for around 700 bucks and i've seen some for as low as 400. the only bad thing is that it heats up ALOT to the point of shutting down but it can be worked out by placing it on a cold surface like a plastic breifcase.

a delltop may be good. never tried it but i think it might be good because dell preinstalled ubuntu on some.

if you want it preinstalled i would reccomend system76 (www.system76.com) their laptops rock and it already has ubuntu on it ;)

by the way replacing the OS will never void your warrenty on anything, i install ubuntu on everything ;)

happy computing :)

btw sony laptops work moderately good but some drivers like media card slots might be stubborn and wifi is painful to set up. also hp envy laptops i heard are very buggy with ubuntu.

mastablasta
August 20th, 2010, 06:49 AM
some Dell laptops come preinstalled with Ubuntu. Inspiron 15 series or the cheap dell vostro (which costs about 500EUR here). I bet it's cheaper in USA.

System76 also seem interesting however they only ship to USA and Canada i think.

alevin46
August 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Hello Friends...........

Go to BestBuy they have a million of em. Tell em what you want it for.

Thanks

higashi
August 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind when shopping around.

by the way replacing the OS will never void your warrenty on anything, i install ubuntu on everything
My friend bought a dell inspiron (not sure which one) and he was told that replacing the OS would void his warranty :\ . Maybe it has to do with where he bought it from (Futur*****... yet another reason to stay away from their overpriced products :l ).

Anyway, thanks again for the help, system76 looks like it's going to be very helpful :]

phenest
August 21st, 2010, 08:55 PM
My friend bought a dell inspiron (not sure which one) and he was told that replacing the OS would void his warranty :\ . Maybe it has to do with where he bought it from (Futur*****... yet another reason to stay away from their overpriced products :l ).

If you need warranty work done, most manufacturers simply require that you restore the OS that came with the computer, so it's the same as they sent it to you. Otherwise, it will not affect your warranty. Of course, this might not apply to all.

If you're looking for 2nd hand, I have a top spec Dell Precision M90 that I've had for over 4 years. Better than a lot of the "new" models in the shops. You could pick up a good one from eBay for around 350GBP.