PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to see list of blacklisted IPs in Apache?

ray otti
August 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm using Apache server's dos_evasive module to block DoS attacks. How do I see the list of blacklisted IPs? because I want to delete from time to time to monitor the IPs that are blacklisted, but do not know how to. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Ray

LightningCrash
August 20th, 2010, 02:58 AM
The list is held in memory, you would have to grep for Blacklist in /var/log/messages (or wherever you set mod_evasive to log to)

ray otti
August 21st, 2010, 12:23 AM
thanks for your response, my logs are in ; /var/log/apache2/mod_evasive but when i check they are empty, what is the command line for the grep pls? i used grep 'blacklist' in the log directory, didn't work...

LightningCrash
August 21st, 2010, 01:48 AM
thanks for your response, my logs are in ; /var/log/apache2/mod_evasive but when i check they are empty, what is the command line for the grep pls? i used grep 'blacklist' in the log directory, didn't work...

try grep -i 'blacklist' /var/log/apache2/mod_evasive

IIRC you can also configure mod_evasive to email you when it blacklists someone.

ray otti
August 21st, 2010, 02:00 AM
tried grep -i 'blacklist' /var/log/apache2/mod_evasive but it just returned the prompt like it was just a save or create directory command. I entered the /var/log/apache2/mod_evasive directory and typred in grep -i 'blacklist just behaves as before; goes on like it's opening a gedit but never opens anything......

LightningCrash
August 21st, 2010, 03:25 AM
that is a directory?

what's in the directory?

ray otti
August 21st, 2010, 03:40 AM
u know when I do cd /var;
cd log and so on.... then I get into the var/log/apache2/mod_evasive but normally like I said I use grep -i 'blacklist' it just behaves like it's a mkdir command.
I'm running bonesi on one client and attacking the server just to test the resilience of mod_evasive but I can't see the list of blacklisted IPs. I wanna know if mod_evasive is actually sending 403s and eventually blocking these IPs but I dnt know how to find out. I looked into the /var/log/messages and I found out it says; possible SYN flooding on port 80. Sending cookies.... I dnt understand why is it sending cookies if there's a possible SYN flooding? but my main interest is the blacklisting. Really wanna find where the list is.