PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Genius F610 tablet in 9.10 - which drivers?

Fubrite
August 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to set up my Genius F610 tablet, but am a little confused...

xinput --list gives the tablet as "WALTOP International Corp. Slim Tablet"

So, do I use wacom, wizardpen or waltop drivers?

And could anyone point me towards a baby-steps how-to of installing them?

This really shouldn't be this complicated!

Thanks!

Stefan

Favux
August 19th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hi Fubrite,

It should be the wacom driver but because of a kernel problem currently using WizardPen. See "Attention Waltop tablet in Lucid" near the top of the linuxwacom HOW TO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6546012&postcount=1). That'll link you to several HOW TO's.

Favux
August 19th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Oops. Sorry, you're in Karmic not Lucid. So a patched Wacom, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8243791&postcount=86 And a couple pages before and after.

Fubrite
August 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your help!

I think I started to do it right, but have come a little unstuck...

I:
-downloaded linuxwacom-0.8.8-8.tar.bz2
-un-tarred it
-downloaded the alternative wcmUSB.c from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8244156&postcount=92 and un-tarred it
-renamed src/xdrv/wcmUSB.c to wcmUSB.c.bak
-replaced wcmUSB.c with the alternative one
-ran ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
-ran make

and got:

/wcmUSB.c:545: error: ‘struct _WacomCommonRec’ has no member named ‘wcmCapacity’
./wcmUSB.c:546: error: ‘struct _WacomCommonRec’ has no member named ‘wcmCapacityDefault’
./wcmUSB.c:550: error: ‘struct _WacomCommonRec’ has no member named ‘wcmCapacity’
./wcmUSB.c:551: error: ‘struct _WacomCommonRec’ has no member named ‘wcmCapacityDefault’
./wcmUSB.c: In function ‘usbParseChannel’:
./wcmUSB.c:1040: error: ‘WacomDeviceState’ has no member named ‘capacity’
./wcmUSB.c:1117: error: ‘struct _WacomCommonRec’ has no member named ‘wcmCapacityDefault’

Pleas help!

Favux
August 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
The 0.8.8-8 linuxwacom is too new for that wcmUSB.c. You'll either have to manually make the changes to the 0.8.8-8 wcmUSB.c or maybe try linuxwacom 0.8.6-2. I forgot which version's wcmUSB.c we were working on, maybe 0.8.4-something?

I can help you if needed.

Fubrite
August 20th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Right, I've got it sort of working...

I downloaded linuxwacom-0.8.4-3 from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8676926&postcount=120

and ran ./configure, make and sudo make install on that.

I followed the rest of the instructions on the how-to at http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=9740603 to replace the .fdi

So now, when I first boot the laptop (HP Pavilion dv3), after I tap the pen on the pad once, hovering the pen on the pad moves the cursor (though not all of the pad is used, but I think that might be down to my resolution, and a minor niggle at the moment) but the buttons on the pen don't work. After tapping the pen again, in order to move the cursor, I have to touch and drag the pen on the pad and the cursor is in "relative" mode (i.e the point I tap on the pad doesn't correspond to the point on the screen - I hope that makes sense... didn't notice if this is the same when hovering, but I don't think so). This persists until I reboot.

When I run wacomcpl or xsetwacom, I get the following error

xsetwacom: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-xlib.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Favux
August 20th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hi Fubrite,

Really nice work! Looks like you almost have it.

Doesn't look like you installed the dependency libx11-dev. So before you compile do:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev

sudo apt-get upgrade
then after you change directory into the unpacked linuxwacom tar, before you do:

./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
run:

make clean

Fubrite
August 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hi,

I did the above, but it's doing the same thing...

When I ran

sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev

I got:

build-essential is already the newest version.
libx11-dev is already the newest version.
libxi-dev is already the newest version.
x11proto-input-dev is already the newest version.
xserver-xorg-dev is already the newest version.
tk8.4-dev is already the newest version.
tcl8.4-dev is already the newest version.
libncurses5-dev is already the newest version

I'm still getting the error:

xsetwacom: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-xlib.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

when I try xsetwacom list

Favux
August 20th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Hmmm. Not sure what's going on. Do you have a 64-bit install?

Fubrite
August 20th, 2010, 07:29 PM
That's a good question! I did have 64-bit installed, but I'm almost positive I did a clean install of 32-bit since then because I was having graphics troubles - is there a way to check?

Favux
August 20th, 2010, 07:33 PM
cat /proc/version_signature

Fubrite
August 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM
That gives Ubuntu 2.6.31-22.63-generic - is that 32- or 64-bit (and does it shed any light?

Thanks!

Favux
August 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
My bad.

uname -m
or

uname -a

Fubrite
August 20th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Linux HP-laptop 2.6.31-22-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 18 22:54:26 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

which is 32-bit?

Just so you know, my laptop's processor is 64-bit, but that shouldn't matter?

Favux
August 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Right i686 means 32-bit. And a 64-bit processor can run either a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

Darn, 32-bit. There goes that thought. Not sure why wacomcpl won't start. The stylus is working OK?

Fubrite
August 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Yes and no - when I boot up the laptop, the stylus isn't recognised until I tap it once, then it acts in relative mode when hovering it over the pad, until I tap it again, at which point I have to drag the stylus on the pad to move the cursor. The side-buttons don't seem to be recognised, and tapping the tip isn't recognised as a left click (or anything else as far as I can tell)

DwalerXIII
August 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Yesterday I received my new Genius easypen i405.
I installed the WizardPen driver (as described on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen)and the tablet worked without further configuration.
The Genius G-Pen F610 should also work with this driver.

Fubrite
August 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I've finally managed to get this 99% working. For future reference, I upgraded to 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) and installed and configured wizardpen.

My conf file is

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "wizardpen"
MatchIsTablet "on"
#MatchProduct "*WALTOP*"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event6"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
Option "TopX" "134"
Option "TopY" "98"
Option "BottomX" "20000"
Option "BottomY" "12500"
Driver "wizardpen"
EndSection

Now, about the missing 1% - when I run xinput list, I get:

Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation id=13 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ WALTOP International Corp. Slim Tablet id=14 [slave pointer (2)]

there's no 'stylus' listed. Which on the face of it isn't too bad, but it may be a cause of the next problem.

I'm trying to use Easystroke. When I hold down my pen's side button to make the gesture, and then release it, the button mapping gets messed up - the tip no longer responds, and the two side buttons seem to switch places. The only way to get it back, is to randomly hold down each side button for 5 seconds several times in a row, doesn't seem to matter which order I do it in, and eventually it'll start working again til the next time I want to use a mouse gesture...

I have been able to replicate this with Easystroke turned off, so I don't think it's that, does anybody have any ideas?

Fubrite
August 30th, 2010, 12:26 PM
anyone?