PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Changing X server screen dimensions?

secundar
August 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
A while ago, while moving my LCD monitor, something struck the screen causing some pixels to go black. Months later those pixels grew to a long vertical stripe down the right side of my screen. I'm constantly having to move pallets out of the way so I can see what I'm doing.

Is there a way to change the geometry of the X server to be something like 1800x1080 instead of 1920x1080?

lukeiamyourfather
August 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I think its time for a new monitor! :lolflag:

secundar
August 18th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I think its time for a new monitor! :lolflag:

Sure, if you're buying! ;)

lukeiamyourfather
August 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Sure, if you're buying! ;)

If you want to play you got to pay. This might be a suitable replacement and is very inexpensive (but still with a three year warranty!).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116446

It might be possible to not use that part of the display, but its beyond my knowledge of Linux. There's probably not that much about it out there either if it is possible because almost nobody would want to do it. Good luck either way you go!

secundar
August 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I admit it's an odd request but I am not shopping for a new monitor at this time, but thanks for the recommendation...

Now back to my original question... anyone else?

lukeiamyourfather
August 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I admit it's an odd request but I am not shopping for a new monitor at this time, but thanks for the recommendation...

Now back to my original question... anyone else?

I was thinking about this earlier, it might work to use a smaller common resolution and set the graphics card to not scale the image assuming you're using DVI and the drivers have the feature. For example run a 1920x1080 display at 1280x720 (or another smaller 16:9 ratio). Doing this would be much more straightforward since there are already settings to do this. The caveat is you lose that screen real estate on all side of the screen, not just the one with the dead pixels.