PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is there something to know before installing Dropbox in Ubuntu 10.04?

frogo
August 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm wondering whether it's safe to install Dropbox in Ubuntu 10.04.

It seems to be easy enough:
https://www.dropbox.com/downloading
and here for people who like me need to be held by the hand with simplest things:
http://friendlytechninja.com/2010/05/02/howto-install-dropbox-on-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

But as a newbie to ubuntu I've been burnt trying out seamless things that turn into tweaking nightmares that I can't manage.

It would be useful to receive any prior warning as to how Dropbox cohabits with Gnome, Nautilus or anything relevant in Ubuntu 10.04.

(apologies: i) not sure this is the right place for the thread ; ii) I couldn't find anything reassuring me or addressing the question so this is asked in the spirit of better be safe than sorry and ask first)

EDIT: Thanks guys, I'm marking this as solved. Cheers.

berlinick
August 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I installed Dropbox on Xubuntu 9.10 recently. After the installation everything was fine. However, I didn't try out the actual synchronization yet. If anything goes wrong, I'll post here. Hopefully I won't have to :)

noob555
August 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
I installed it on my computer a couple weeks ago. Couldn't be easier. It's a .deb file, so it installs automatically just by clicking on it (i.e. like an .exe file on Windows). Default is to place the Dropbox folder in your home folder. I prefer the desktop, but it's really whatever your preference is. If you have any problems, let me know.

Personally, I'm quite happy. I tried Ubuntu One, but couldn't get it to work properly, which is weird. Dropbox worked instantaneously. And it's very easy.

frogo
August 19th, 2010, 02:14 AM
thanks guys! that's enough to stop my freaking out.

i gave it a try and, indeed, so far so good, but I'll see how things go in the next couple days..

dmizer
August 19th, 2010, 02:24 AM
thanks guys! that's enough to stop my freaking out.

i gave it a try and, indeed, so far so good, but I'll see how things go in the next couple days..

It's in the repositories. You can install it from the software centre. I've been using it for months now to sync files from my android phone.

sgosnell
August 19th, 2010, 05:25 AM
+1. I've been using Dropbox for a long time, pretty much since it came out, and it just works, on any version of Linux and on Windows.

mmerlone
August 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I use it sync'ing my Ubuntu 10.04 at work, idem at home and another Windows 7 at home too. No problem.