PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Command line

DarrenMR415
August 18th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Can anyone explain this or point me in the direct of an explination? I would like to add a program to my startup programs. Its called Brightside. What do I do?

ubudog
August 18th, 2010, 01:29 AM
To add it to startup programs, you don't need the command line. Use System>Preferences>Startup Applications. for that. There are many ways to install things using the command line. Using apt (the most common way):

sudo apt-get install packagename
(packagename being the name of the program)

DarrenMR415
August 18th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I already have it installed, I dont know what to put on the Startup applications where it says command.

scrooge_74
August 18th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Well i see it comes in tar format and is the source code.

1. You need to uncompress
2. you will need to compile it for it to run
a. need compiling tools
b. need to follow what ever instructions come inside it

how good are you at the command line and compiling stuff?

DarrenMR415
August 18th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I think it would be safe to assume my skills based on the fact that this thread is in the "Absolute Beginner" subforum.

wojox
August 18th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I already have it installed, I dont know what to put on the Startup applications where it says command.

Try

brightside

t0p
August 18th, 2010, 01:48 AM
If wojox's suggestion doesn't work, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type in

which brightside

I don't have brightside installed on my computer; but I assume you'll get a response something like

/usr/bin/brightside

That reply is what you need to put in Startup Applications, eg in my example you would type in /usr/bin/brightside.

DarrenMR415
August 18th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Thats exactly what came up /usr/bin/brightside. Is that how I find out what to do with everything else in that type of situation?