PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Your country need your help!!!!! Would you like to help !!!

Trinity33
August 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM
yes ?

than tell me why when i play hd clips from youtube or from desktop my cpu is on fire used in about 65%. and when i play none hd clips cpu is used in about 1 to 5%.

i have ati card hd4850 with the latest catalyst
and cpu q9000
ddr3 4gb
Lucid lynx with all updates

in win 7 there is no problems playing hd clips so why i have problems in lucid ?

is there a way to sort it out ?

i tried different codecs pau too but it didnt work

i tried different players vlc gnome mplayer or mplayer and it didnt help

is there any solution to it ?

Edit

yes it is HD clips from you tube and the same happen when i play other clips i downloaded to my desktop. i tried many different players and the same different codecs but nothing has change the same 65 % of the cpu.

and i compared it with win 7 and in win 7 the cpu is used in about 10 to 15% when i play HD clips

CharlesA
August 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
It's HD? It requires more processing power then non-HD content.

I haven't been able to push the decoding off to the GPU in linux.

uRock
August 17th, 2010, 07:30 PM
That is the world of flash in Linux. It eats CPU for breakfast. What program are you using on the desktop to open the videos?

LowSky
August 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
If you had a Nvidia graphics card you would see less CPU being used on localized HD content as Nvidia has VDPAU. Which alows the graphics card to do the work, but that doens't apply to flash. Flash doesn't yet support VDPAU.

CharlesA
August 17th, 2010, 07:36 PM
If you had a Nvidia graphics card you would see less CPU being used on localized HD content as Nvidia has VDPAU. Which alows the graphics card to do the work, but that doens't apply to flash. Flash doesn't yet support VDPAU.

Doesn't the version of Flash used in Windows support hardware decoding?

The linux version of flash is crap compared to Windows (but flash is crap in general).

LowSky
August 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Doesn't the version of Flash used in Windows support hardware decoding?

Yes Windows version supports hardware (graphics card) decoding

The Linux version of flash is crap compared to Windows (but flash is crap in general).

The first part is true (the second part is semi-true).
Don't blame Adobe, blame a decade of over zealous developers who didn't think flash was important, until Linux users started to complain in droves.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/supported_features.png

khelben1979
August 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
So... will there be any GPU acc. support in flash before the end of this year for Linux? Anyone?

QIII
August 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
So... will there be any GPU acc. support in flash before the end of this year for Linux? Anyone?

The folks to ask would be Adobe.

AliG112
August 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
This is why so many people are anticipating html5. No more flash video! I can't wait! Flash is terrible in Ubuntu! :D

philinux
August 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM
trinity33,

for future threads please click the link in my signature.