PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lucid on old Dell server hardware - 2450

MakOwner
August 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Solved, sort of.
Just in case anyone else is foolishly chasing down this path as I just did.

PE2450 with the latest BIOS (A09) and using the onboard Adaptec SCSI controller -- will install successfully from the minimal CD (network install); however it will not boot from the installed OS.

Short version is that it can't find the root device by UUID.

Boot into rescue mode and change the root=UUIDblah-blah-blah in grub.cfg to root=/dev/sd(x)(n)

Boots fine after that - so far.

arrrghhh
August 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM
This may cause issues down the road, and you'll want to change that back to the UUID. You can find it by doing
ls -lah /dev/disk/by-uuid

Not sure why the UUID wouldn't get mapped correctly - I've seen this happen before tho. Perhaps related to the SCSI controller...

MakOwner
August 17th, 2010, 07:25 PM
This may cause issues down the road, and you'll want to change that back to the UUID. You can find it by doing
ls -lah /dev/disk/by-uuid

Not sure why the UUID wouldn't get mapped correctly - I've seen this happen before tho. Perhaps related to the SCSI controller...

I have hammered at this for several days and can't find anything that will allow it to boot from the UUID label. The boot fails and drops you into a shell and from there you can run the blkid program and the UUID of the partition matches the value in the boot command line in /proc/cmdline.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for grub updates and correct the configuration if it's changed, I suppose.

Not an ideal solution by far, but the best I have found.

arrrghhh
August 17th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hm. If you do find something better, please post back. It's almost certainly that SCSI card, but I have no clue why.

MakOwner
August 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hm. If you do find something better, please post back. It's almost certainly that SCSI card, but I have no clue why.

Upgrading to hardware built in this century is my best guess :)
I'm working on a 2550 with a Perc3 controller now. Bet that will be fun too.

arrrghhh
August 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Upgrading to hardware built in this century is my best guess :)
I'm working on a 2550 with a Perc3 controller now. Bet that will be fun too.

Ha, well that would probably be your best option... ;)

MakOwner
March 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Ha, well that would probably be your best option... ;)

Just to update this thread...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10612966#post10612966

Same situation occurs on a PE 1750 after adding a new PCI-X SATA controller.
9.10 works, 10.04 works without the controller added, but adding in that controller breaks grub.

Now a 1750 isn't the newest hardware out there, but it sure as hell isn't old enough to be trashed yet.