PDA

View Full Version : Missing Applications and How Do I rRemove My Menu?

miggyboi
August 17th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I am a BRAND NEW Ubuntu user and I am very frustrated and confused.

I went through every official ubuntu information site and I haven't seen any answer on any of them and I hope someone in the community can help me. I just recently changed from Windows to Ubuntu Netbook edition.

For some reason, it seems like I have a different version (?) because everything I've read so far says that I have a "Menu" from the toolbar at the very top where I could find "Places" and "Applications" and stuff. All I have on my toolbar is a go-home-applet, a space for the icons of the applications I'm running, network, time and date, profile, and the "power" button. But no dropdown menu.

When I startup, my desktop is filled by this "Menu" of some sort at the left hand side of my screen that is ALWAYS THERE, which has "Favorites", "Files and Forders", etc, opening up some sub menus unto the desktop such as "Dictionary", "Mozilla", etc., which effectively covering my entire desktop.

I feel that this is cluttering and all I want is to remove it, select applications to put on my desktop just like how it is in Windows. After tinkering with it for the longest time, I tried to remove as much "shortcuts" on this "menu" but now, I can't seem to find these applications anymore if I need it such as "Preferences" or whatnot because I cannot find ANY "Applications" folder, menu, or whatnot anywhere.

Goodness, I feel that my description above is quite confusing but I really hope someone can help me understand all of this. Thank you! :D

kerry_s
August 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
yeap, you should have installed ubuntu desktop.

don't worry, ubuntu knew people would do that. :lolflag:

log out
select your name
on the bottom where it says session, select gnome
enter your password & log in

themusicalduck
August 17th, 2010, 07:02 PM
It sounds like you've installed the netbook version.. If you want it to be like Windows, how you've described, then you need the desktop version.

miggyboi
August 18th, 2010, 02:11 AM
YYYYES!!! :D

Thanks a lot! I got my desktop now when I logged out and selected gnome before I log in.

How do I keep it this way whenever I start my netbook?

Wow, you're all made out of jawesome juice! Thanks again! :D

kerry_s
August 18th, 2010, 03:36 AM
YYYYES!!! :D

Thanks a lot! I got my desktop now when I logged out and selected gnome before I log in.

How do I keep it this way whenever I start my netbook?

Wow, you're all made out of jawesome juice! Thanks again! :D

it will stay that way, unless you change it again.