PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome volume control dissapeared!

wkulecz
August 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
The master volume control on my wife's computer (Ubuntu 10.04) has disappeared from the main menu. I can't figure out how to get it back.

What process supplies this? I've no idea where to look. Various "mixer" controls all seem to work but none put back the quick access master volume control back on the Gnome menubar.

SantaFe
August 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Have you tried right clicking on a Panel, choosing Add To Panel, and when the Add To Panel box pops up, click on Indicator Applet, then click the Add button at the bottom?

randywilharm
August 17th, 2010, 04:17 PM
This is a bug in 10.04 Lucid....

Enter in terminal:

pkill gnome-panel

this will reset gnome
and you should get the control back

wkulecz
August 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll try them on my wife's computer tonight or tomorrow and get back about it.

I tried the "Add To Panel" thing initially but was stopped dead in my tracks by not having a clue as to the name of the thing I needed to add, but I don't think the indicator application is the volume control as my wife's computer still is getting notifications of updates available.

Spice Weasel
August 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Have you tried installing "gnome-alsamixer"? It's an alternative to the default with more options.

wkulecz
August 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Have you tried installing "gnome-alsamixer"? It's an alternative to the default with more options

No. This is my wife's computer, somehow something she did killed the volume control application. I want to put it back to what it was. Adding more options or making it different is not really helpful.

I can launch any of the other mixer applications and they all seem to work, as does the volume control in System->Preferences->Sound, but none of this is as convienent for my wife as was the default master volume control on the Gnome panel.

I'll look into what has been suggested this weekend.

karmila
August 20th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I got the same problem as yours.

I added "gnome-volume-control' command to startup application and it gave me volume control slider at the gnome-panel but not the same as before, it lost sound preference option.

I've tried to restart the panel with pkill gnome-panel but nothing change. I even restored the panel to the default but the volume control still missing. As I remember, i didn't do anything that possibly make the control missing, it just lost.

JohnElway
August 21st, 2010, 12:17 AM
To reload the GNOME panel I usually use this command:

killall gnome-panel

It's always worked for me.

wkulecz
August 23rd, 2010, 02:24 AM
Add to Panel -> Indicator Applet brought it back. Its also bring in the Email/Chat icon which I suspect she might have deleted, not realizing the Volume Control was tied to it.

Thanks!

MakOwner
August 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
To reload the GNOME panel I usually use this command:

killall gnome-panel

It's always worked for me.

I have the same issue, and restarting the panel doesn't work for me either.
I know I haven't deleted anything from the panel - this is my desktop.

karmila
August 31st, 2010, 09:39 PM
I have the same issue, and restarting the panel doesn't work for me either.
I know I haven't deleted anything from the panel - this is my desktop.

My problem still unsolved either, yes I do nothing too that might delete the applet. It just disappeared!

karmila
September 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM
Now, my problem is solved!

I don't know why but I needed to install indicator-sound first (don't know why it's missing..?)

sudo aptitude install indicator-sound
And then add indicator applet to the panel (before I installed indicator-sound, it's only added mail notification but no volume control)