View Full Version : [SOLVED] Moving root to another partition

August 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I am running Ubuntu 10.04.

I created the root partition some time ago and it is now bursting at the seams. I have a spare partition that is much larger.

How can I move the complete root partition to the other partition on the secondary hard drive without losing system integrity. The system now works perfectly.

August 17th, 2010, 08:29 AM

i'm not positive. however, i wonder if you could compress the current root partition into a tarball, toss that onto the new partition, update grub, update fstab, and be done?

i suspect someone is going to pop in and point out some critical step i left out.

alternatively, i wonder if you could do some clever stuff with remastersys (http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/) in backup mode and restoring it? the .iso would potentially be huge, so i suppose you'd want to use an external hard drive and ubuntu's usb startup disk creator.

i'd definitely test either method in vbox prior to doing it live.

Gone fishing
August 17th, 2010, 08:43 AM
If you copy all the files to the new partition it should work obviously you will need then to fix fstab and then fix grub from a start up disk. Remember however, if you copy over all the root files you will need to preserve all the permissions. You will need to use the -p switch whilst copying.

However, would it not be as easy to do a fresh install or are you running a complex configuration?

August 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
have you cleaned the packages downloaded cache? if you haven't run the clean command, this will release a lot of root disk space back.

sudo apt-get clean

August 18th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Hi gandaran

I ran apt-get clean and it released 600MB of space which will do for now - thanks for your replay.

Thanks to the other replies - I wont try your suggestions because I am afraid of losing the system and I am too lazy to do a re-install - thanks anyway.