PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu/windows AV

julianrdlph
August 17th, 2010, 05:08 AM
i've been using ubuntu for a while now, and i love it. im not sure if im posting this in the right place, but ima post anyway.

i was wondering if there is a distro, hopefully based on ubuntu, that i can run from a usb drive that is loaded with antivirus and anti spyware programs that i can use to scan a windows machine.

i found klamav and i can use it, but i havent figured out how to use it to scan windows.

this is what i did: i made a ubuntu live usb, ran it on the windows machine, updated it, installed ntfs support, updated klamav...and then i tried to run it.
i thought that maybe if i added ntfs support that klamav would be able to scan the windows...but it didnt.

so basically, what i want to know is if something like this exists. if not, can someone please send me to a place where i can make "my own distro" that will do this. like a step by step sort of thing, i dont and cant program (other than "hello world" if ya get what i mean)...

thanks a million!

anglican
August 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM
i've been using ubuntu for a while now, and i love it. im not sure if im posting this in the right place, but ima post anyway.

i was wondering if there is a distro, hopefully based on ubuntu, that i can run from a usb drive that is loaded with antivirus and anti spyware programs that i can use to scan a windows machine.

i found klamav and i can use it, but i havent figured out how to use it to scan windows.

this is what i did: i made a ubuntu live usb, ran it on the windows machine, updated it, installed ntfs support, updated klamav...and then i tried to run it.
i thought that maybe if i added ntfs support that klamav would be able to scan the windows...but it didnt.

so basically, what i want to know is if something like this exists. if not, can someone please send me to a place where i can make "my own distro" that will do this. like a step by step sort of thing, i dont and cant program (other than "hello world" if ya get what i mean)...

thanks a million!Just use ubuntu, I'll leave you to find instructions for making a bootable USB (google will help you here). Once booted, open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install clamav
sudo freshclamwhich will install AV software. Then you need to find and mount your Windows disk:

sudo fdisk -lthen depending on where your ntfs filesystem is found:

sudo mkdir /mnt/windows_disk
sudo mount /dev/xxxx /mnt/windows_disk -o rowhere xxxx should be obvious from the output of the fdisk command. Finally to scan the disk type:

clamscan --bell -r --log=/home/yourname/virus_log -i /mnt/windows_disk/
The above command will scan your /mnt/windows_disk/ directory (NTFS partition) recursively (-r) and log (--log) the result in the virus_log file, will beep (--bell) each time a virus has been detected and only print (-i) infected files to the output.

H

bkratz
August 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
You might find something useful here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3q5ss40oY&feature=response_watch