PDA

View Full Version : [other] Web Design

nair
August 17th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Didn't know where else to post. I was just curious about a good place to develop a website for free--any sort of an adequate sandbox environment where you don't have to pay for a URL/domain name or hosting or any of that. And not only that, I was curious if I could use CSS and Javascript freely in this environment. One of the first environments I found in a quick search, 'google sites', does not allow unrestrained CSS or Javascript development.

HistoryMac
August 17th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Didn't know where else to post. I was just curious about a good place to develop a website for free--any sort of an adequate sandbox environment where you don't have to pay for a URL/domain name or hosting or any of that. And not only that, I was curious if I could use CSS and Javascript freely in this environment. One of the first environments I found in a quick search, 'google sites', does not allow unrestrained CSS or Javascript development.

Not sure how it copes with Javascript or CSS, but before purchasing a domain and getting it happening with iWeb, I used to use Yola (http://www.yola.com/) (it was still known as "Synthasite" back when i used it) and that did the job quite well. I'd definitely recommend that as a good starting point. Happy building! ;)

kwacka
August 17th, 2010, 09:32 PM
As usual there's several choices.

Firstly check out kompozer - its a HTML editor (despite starting with a 'K' its not KDE only). There are others, e.g. Bluefish, OpenOffice HTML editor, build on your computer & see how you're doing in your browser(s).

Secondly, install LAMP (Linux/Apache server/MySQL/PHP) and your computer acts as host.

Or add a content management system to LAMP such as Drupal or Joomla; the easiest way is to install from an 'one-click' setup such as 'Bitnami' (http://bitnami.org/)- again your own computer acts as a host.

Paqman
August 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Generally speaking, any service that allows you to set up a site without buying a domain name and some hosting will also be severely limited in your ability to write normal markup and install any PHP software. You'll have a much nicer time if you pay up, getting a site online and hosting it for a year will cost you less than you'd spend on a round of drinks.